Chapter 21 - Secret Doctor

Three weeks had gone by since their argument at the symphony. Riley had been consumed with the end of the year then closing out her class for the summer. It had been a very busy and dramatic three weeks.

Riley felt helpless and almost called Connor on many occasions but fought to stay strong.

The four months of Riley's time dating Connor seemed it happened ages ago. He called and texted every day over the last three weeks. Each time she saw his name of the caller ID, Riley ached to answer. She wanted to forgive him but just couldn't.

Time to contemplate everything over was abruptly halted when Kaylee called Riley explaining she had to call 9-1-1 because Vivian collapsed. The police officer assured Riley that Kaylee would be cared for by a female officer until Riley arrived at the hospital.

It seemed like Vivian was gone for hours while they ran tests. Kaylee and Riley waited in her room. When they finally wheeled Vivian back, she looked exhausted. The Doctor reported that Vivian was dehydrated and after a round of IV fluids, she could go home and rest for several days. He wanted to see Vivian for a follow up appointment early the following week.

Now that school was out and after all the stressful events in recent weeks, Riley's body finally came down. By the end of the week, Riley woke up with a terrible sore throat and she ached all over. Kaylee took Riley's cell phone saying she would call Grandma but a few minutes later, someone else showed up.

****

Connor was very surprised to see Riley's name on his Caller ID. When he answered, Connor could hardly contain his excitement. He was in a meeting with Gabe about more planning of the city building improvement project Cynthia helped her dad approve. When Kaylee said Riley was sick, Connor told the young girl he would be right there.

Now, standing at the door to the building, Connor hit the call button and was immediately buzzed in. Kaylee opened the door for him. She gave a small smile when she saw him and warmly returned his hug as he scooped her up into his arms.

"Mommy is still sad at you," Kaylee reported once they were inside the apartment.

"She's still mad at me?" He corrected, closing the door behind him.

She shook her head. "No, she's sad at you. She said you hurt her feelings and made her sad."

"I know, anjinho," He agreed. "I've been trying to call and talk to her but she won't talk to me."

(Angel)

"Well, now she's sick in bed and can't run away," She smiled, mischief clearly sparkling in those deep blue eyes.

Connor gasped in realization and shook his head despite his lips curving into a growing smile. "Is that why you called me?"

Kaylee giggled as she nodded. "I called Grandma, too. She's coming to get me so you will go hide in my closet when she gets here. Then you can take care of Mommy."

"You're a clever girl, Kaylee," Connor chuckled. "You're packed for Grandma's?"

"Mhmm," She grinned. "I'll show you where all the grown up medicines are and the temperometer."

"You mean the thermometer?" He scowled playfully.

"That's what I said!" She rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation.

Connor chuckled as he placed Kaylee down. He followed her to the bathroom where she did indeed show him where everything was stored. Next was a brief tour of the "sicky shelf" in the kitchen where Riley kept all the soups.

When the buzzer rang, Kaylee grabbed Connor's hand and dragged him as quickly as she could to her room to shove him into her closet. He couldn't help his chuckle but was reprimanded by the pint sized mastermind with a loud "SHH!" before she left to let Vivian in.