Chapter 2 - Served

"...And looking at our seven day forecast in lovely Chicagoland, we see spring quickling returning back to the area bringing gorgeous sunshine and mild temperatures. By the end of the week we should be having some spring showers that will hopefully bring us some May flowers. Back to you at the desk..."

The morning sun fought its way boldly through the cream curtains, giving a bright glow to the room. Riley rolled over in bed, reaching for her cell phone to check the time. 6:45 a.m. Riley groaned. It's too early to be awake especially on her Spring Break. This was precious "catch up on sleep time" for a teacher! If that opportunity actually existed. Pushing back the sky blue comforter, Riley rubbed her eyes but stayed laying down.

Who turned on the TV? She thought to herself then eased up onto her elbows in bed. The soft drone of the morning news traveled from the living room to her ears. Riley had a good guess as to who the culprit was that turned on the TV. Loud footsteps came pattering down the hallway toward the master bedroom.

"MOMMY!" The bright light in Riley's life came bounding in and crawled into the bed.

"Good morning, sweetheart," Riley grabbed her 5 year old daughter and playfully dragged her into her lap and tickled Kaylee's sides. She squirmed and squealed brightly as she was attacked. The girls beautiful, joyous laughter filled the room until Riley finally stopped and grinned down at a flushed, panting Kaylee.

"Hi Momma. I'm thirsty," She declared and reached for the tall glass of water Riley always kept filled on her nightstand. Kaylee drained it at a record breaking speed.

"Hey!" Riley protested. "That was mine!" Kaylee just laughed as she scrambled off the bed, conveniently out of tickling range and quickly disappeared back toward the living room.

"I'm hungry, Momma. Will you make me breakfast? Pleeeeeease?"

The "please" was accompanied by Kaylee's well practiced puppy face, complete with a head tilt. Because I can't say no to that face for anything.

"Yes, let's go get breakfast then get you off to school!" Riley threw the covers back farther and swung her legs out.

"But it's spring break," Kaylee whined, sticking her bottom lip out into a pout.

"For me it is, honey," Riley replied, bopping Kaylee on that bottom lip causing Kaylee to stop pouting and smile. "But preschool is still open so you are going to go while I do some things here and in my classroom."

Kaylee and Riley went through their morning routine of breakfast, brushing teeth, picking out clothes then getting dressed. Riley did her basic makeup routine while Kaylee packed her backpack with her lunch, a sweater and a painting she made with finger paints for show and tell.

It didn't take them long before they made it to the school since it was only about 5 miles away. Riley walked Kaylee to her classroom, kissed and hugged her goodbye then was off to run errands alone which she rarely got to do.

Grocery shopping is much easier and faster without your kid.

Riley planned on relaxing this first day of her spring break. She did have some lesson planning to finalize, a few papers to grade then enter and she had some clothes as well as other things to donate. Kaylee was growing so fast. Riley turned on some music and set to work singing while tidying up their small apartment when the buzzer loudly went off startling Riley from her solo concert in the living room.

"Hello, can I help you?" Riley greeted after opening the door, curious because she wasn't expecting anyone.

"Good morning, I'm looking for Ms. Riley Jones?" The well dressed stranger asked, smiling warmly. He was wearing a generic gray business suit, white dress shirt and a dark blue tie, very professional.