Chapter 3 - Drinks

Tapping his fingers in a random rhythm, Connor leaned against the floor to ceiling glass window of the conference room brows tilted in a scowl. It was nearly 2:30 and their "new client" had not shown. Across the room, Gabriel tapped his pen in a steady cadence unintentionally matching Connor's on the tablet of paper in front of him. Finally, the door opened and both men turned.

"Um...Connor...Gabriel..." It was Brenda, their office assistant and secretary. "The client called and said they had a family emergency and can't make it but they want to reschedule for next week."

Raking his hands through his hair in frustration, Connor let out a heavy sigh. "That's fine Brenda. Give them the next opening."

Brenda nodded. "I already did and it's in the books."

Gabriel smiled at her and winked. "Thanks, Brenda." She blushed deeply as she turned to leave the conference room.

"Haven't you already done her, Gabe?" Connor smirked.

"Yeah," Gabriel grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. "It was pretty fun. Maybe she'll want a repeat." Wiggling his eyebrows, he stood neatly straightening his blazer and buttoning the center button. "I think I'll go find out. See you tomorrow!"

Connor shook his head and grinned. "See ya." Sighing again, he gathered their presentation papers and returned them to his corner office down the hall.

The afternoon sun shining over downtown Chicago was perfect through his floor to ceiling windows that took up a whole wall of his office. The bright natural light was a nice contrast to the dark black oak desk and steel gray walls. Connor's office screamed power, money and masculine which was how he liked it.

After he put away the presentation into his files for next week's appointments, Connor thought he might as well call it a day and go home early. He made his way to the elevator and pushed the call button.

****

The elevator suddenly jerking to life broke Riley out of her misery. She closed her eyes, groaning in frustration at herself. She had been standing there so long without hitting the button for the lobby, that now someone else had called the elevator. Now they would see her crying like a baby.

If only they knew...

Only traveling up one floor, the doors opened and Connor walked in, eyes glued to his phone. Riley recognized him right away as the man from her elevator ride before. She turned toward the corner of the elevator, trying to hide her tear streaked cheeks by facing to the corner. Riley stealthily ran her fingers through the ringlets so some fell to the side of her face creating a chocolate veil to hide behind.

Riley was sure she looked terrible. Her mascara had been running, face blotchy from crying, hair askew from her constant raking while taking the news from Dan. Not the most attractive sight for a handsome man to observe on the same elevator.

Connor glanced up from his phone long enough to hit the "L" for lobby and register the same perfume from earlier hitting his nostrils. He peered over to see none other than the woman he first rode with in the elevator. When she moved her hair, the scent of lavender and peppermint waved over toward him. Wow, she smells amazing.

He turned slightly to ask how her meeting went, but his lips bent into a frown seeing her changed demeanor. This woman wasn't standing tall and confident anymore, radiating temptation. Something was wrong. Something tugged at him to comfort her but he had to proceed cautiously.

"Excuse me, Miss..." he started softly, reaching out to touch her elbow lightly. "Are you alright?"

Smooth. Annoyingly cliche, too. Great job.