Chapter 26 - Arriving

Driving along the coastline of Portugal left Riley breathless. Brilliant golden sun shone down on the crystal blue water that reminded her of Connor's breathtaking eyes. Not a cloud in the sky interrupted the vast summer sky.

"We are heading for the coastal town of Cascais," Connor explained, fingers entwined with Riley's. "My family's vineyard is near the cliffs."

"I can hardly wait," Riley hummed, still sleepy from their flight. "How long until we are there?"

"Luckily it's only about a 30 minute drive."

"Kaylee is asleep again," Riley chuckled after glancing into the backseat.

His warm chuckle rumbled from his chest, "I think that happened shortly after getting in the car."

"The little stinker didn't sleep on the flight, Kathleen said. She charmed your flight attendants into watching movies with her."

Riley sat up a little straighter when Connor began turning onto a long driveway guarded by wrought iron gates clad with a sign that said Ribeiro Vineyard Estates. She knew they were close.

The road they drove along was lined with row after row of grapevines. The only things separating them from the delicious looking fruit was a stone wall about 3 feet high. The dirt road appeared as if it would continue straight on until they dropped into the water. Seeing that the road did indeed dip, Riley watched with elevated interest.

"There it is," Connor announced, pride laced thickly in his voice.

The road dropped down steadily winding a bit more to lead them toward a beautiful villa. Riley gasped at the utter beauty. The three story tan villa towered in historic glory. White brick lined the edges to emphasize the grandeur. A brick pathway led toward the impressive large wrought iron door lined with flowering bushes.

"It's beautiful," Riley breathed, eyes glued to every inch of the villa.

"I loved growing up here," Connor reminisced.

Riley turned toward him frowning in confusion. "You said you grew up in Chicago."

"For my first few years," He explained, unbuckling himself then Riley. "Shortly after Maria and Alice were born, we all moved back here to live with my grandparents. My grandfather had fallen ill and they needed some help with the vineyard. I was 5 when we moved. I lived here until 18 when I went to college in the states."

Riley gave a soft "ahh" of understanding them went to open her door to stand and looked up at his childhood home. It made complete sense. Something in him changed now that they were here, like he truly was home. Connor came around the car tsk'ing Riley for not waiting for him to open the door but still gave a kiss on her temple with an arm draped around her waist.

"There's a private beach, too," He smirked, whispering in her ear. Then he released her adding while wiggling his eyebrows, "I had my first kiss on that beach."

Riley's mouth dropped open as she playfully moved to smack his arm but Connor dodged just in time, shoulders shaking with his deep laughter the whole time.

"Is my son being mean to you, dear?" A woman with a thick Portuguese accent called from the front door, hands on her hips scowling with lips pressed to a think line and a glare aimed directly at Connor.

He immediately cleared his throat and straightened. "Não, não, mãe! Claro que não!"

(No, no, Mother! Of course not!)

Riley scoffed, covering her mouth with a hand not missing his reddening cheeks, head drooping a little though as he shoved his fists into the pockets of his jeans. She watched as Connor stalked toward the older woman, much shorter than him as he embraced her warmly then kissed both her cheeks. She had the same raven hair, though it was streaked with hints of silver, the same beaming smile and the same deep blue ocean orbs as Connor's sparkling like sapphires. He looked so much like his mother.