Chapter 23 - Apologies

Exhaustion overwhelmed Riley as they ascended upstairs. The laundry was too much, too soon. Now back in the apartment, Riley plopped onto the couch and curled her legs up under her, struggling to keep her eyes open.  Grabbing a fuzzy pink blanket Kaylee always used, Riley draped it over herself, pulling it up to her neck.  Soon her eyes were closed, not to sleep but simply relax.

In the meantime, Connor disappeared into the kitchen and heated soup on the stove while also preparing the machine to brew coffee.  The aromas soon wafted into the living room. Balancing two mugs, a glass of water and not forgetting to include more ibuprofen, Connor placed the items down on the coffee table in front of Riley.

When Riley felt the spot on the couch dip by her feet, her eyes rolled open to fall on Connor holding out a mug to her.  She took it carefully, blowing onto the contents before taking a small sip.  Blue eyes intently watched her as Connor took a sip from his as well.

The warm liquid soothed Riley's dry, scratchy throat pleasantly trickling warmth all the way down to her stomach. She rolled her eyes closed and hummed softly as she swallowed little bits at a time, sighing in contentment when finished. They both sat in silence as they ate.

"Thank you," Riley offered, holding out her empty mug to Connor who had his hand out to take it for her.

"You're welcome," He replied smiling warmly as he stood carrying the mugs to the kitchen adding over his shoulder, "Take the ibuprofen."

Riley shook the correct number of pills from the bottle, promptly popping them into her mouth followed by several gulps of water.  Even that cool liquid satisfied her parched throat and mouth.  All the while she was unable to keep from watching Connor wash the mugs. 

With a clear view through the kitchen's half wall, the way his body moved with such confidence with such a simple task, was mesmerizing. Strong muscles across his back and shoulders rippling through his plain cotton shirt yet he was also gentle and thoughtful.  Riley closed her eyes again laying her temple on a fist trying to relax but opened them again when Connor handed her another mug, this one filled with coffee.

"Let's keep grouchy Riley at bay, hmm?" Connor smirked.  Riley rolled her eyes taking this new mug, gratefully sipping at the life sustaining drink.

"Alright, Westwood," Riley grumbled firmly using her 'teacher voice'.  Connor raised his dark eyebrows, wide sapphire gems peering over the mug of steaming coffee perched at his lips.  Immediately, he gave his attention due to her tone.  "Explain."

Slowly Connor came over from the doorway of the kitchen, claiming the spot across the couch at her feet again.  The urge to gather her in his arms was overwhelming but the furrowing of her brow, eyes crinkled and forehead creased were all clear signs Riley was still upset with him.  Respecting her feelings, Connor gave her space until explanations were made and an understanding reached.  He let out a heavy sigh, setting his mug down on the coffee table with a light thump before offering the much needed and deserved explanation he promised.

"Mayor Mark Moore is an old friend of my dad's," Connor began.  "His daughter Cynthia and I went to college together.  We have been friends since then.  She is in real estate so when her dad asked me, several months ago, to show her a good time I bought two symphony tickets.  I need to be in good favor with her dad so my building projects get approved by the city."

"You two looked awfully close for being just friends," Riley commented coolly.  She took another sip of her coffee while keeping her eyes locked on his, gauging his reaction.  Connor was cool as a cucumber.

"It was loud," Connor shrugged.  "People were bumping into us.  We were waiting for you. She wanted to meet you especially after I told her you and I had been dating.  Cyn really enjoyed your concerto." He scooted forward and risked Riley's rejection when he placed a hand on her knee.  "I really enjoyed it, too. It was beautiful. Why didn't you mention you played?"