Chapter 11 - Electricity

The clock read 6:45. Connor almost had everything ready. He changed into khaki dress pants and a light blue dress shirt but left the top three buttons undone then rolled the sleeves to his elbows. All he had left to do was light the candles.

Suddenly nerves began to take over Connor as he surveyed the food ready to be served and eaten. He intentionally set out to impress Riley tonight. Something about Riley in the time he'd spent with her tugged at Connor with a drive to make her happy. Spoil her even. Her cheeks blushing at a compliment, sometimes shifting in a seat, eyes glancing down shyly were only some of the mannerisms that hinted she wasn't used to being treated this way. Tonight was his first chance to really treat her as a special person even provide an escape. Riley had admitted she enjoyed the change of being allowed to be just Riley.

That was his priority goal tonight.

****

Soft creaking snuck into the air as Riley drove through the large iron gates into the housing community, passing the sign that read Westwood Estates. Driving slowly and squinting, she searched one house then the next for its number briefly as she passed. Each one was marvelously unique and breathtaking in its architecture.

Her phone dutifully continued giving her directions through the neighborhood. It seemed like each house was getting bigger and more elaborate the further into the community she went. Finally, Riley made her last turn onto a cul de sac, pulled into the driveway toward the middle of the U curved driveway and parked.

The house was magnificent. The view was dampened by the evening glow, but lights along the pathway showed Riley the way toward the massive front door. The whitewashed stone gave the architecture an exquisite and opulent ambience. A large porch wrapped around the house perimeter. Riley guessed it even went to the back, but she was distracted by a post-it note on the center of the dark oak door.

"Please, come in and follow the roses," Riley read out loud. She smiled then drew her lower lip between her teeth as butterflies fluttered in her stomach, growing nervousness transformed into excitement.

Slowly Riley opened the door and was completely overtaken by the exquisite beauty of the house. Everything was gorgeous from the hardwood floors to the five tier chandelier hanging from the vaulted ceiling and the massive staircase that led to the second floor. A small beige upholstered bench sat close to the door. She perched her purse on it before venturing further.

Riley noticed a formal sitting room with lavish furniture to her left and a long hallway after that. To her right, another shorter hallway lead to the kitchen. The red rose petals scattered on the floor led her through the massive great room in front of her furnished lavishly with sofa, armchairs and a large screen TV mounted on the wall. Riley continued to follow the path of petals also noticing lit candles every few feet lining the delicately laid out path.

Her eyes caught sight of a formal dining room after the kitchen that had a long wooden table fit to seat at least twelve and yet another gorgeous chandelier hanging high above the center. The wainscoting in the dining room was stunning accentuating the light bluish gray walls elegantly. A large china hutch with a full set of gold rimmed china sat on display beside an oak buffet table lining the wall but didn't overpower the room even with its massive size.

The large family room she padded through had beautiful exposed beams in the vaulted ceiling, clean beige painted walls, a floor to ceiling gray stone hearth and fireplace complete with a roaring fire already burning. Riley ran her fingers over the elaborate looking navy couch, biting her lower lip in admiration of Connor's expensive but magnificent tastes.

Finally she reached the already open double french doors that led her outside. Candles and more rose petals lit her path down a stone staircase. To her right was a gorgeous labyrinth style garden, bursting with a wide variety of vibrant blooms that, even though it was dark, Riley could see the extravagance of it. The rich flowery fragrance of the garden didn't go unnoticed. To the left was a ginormous glistening pool. In between those two features was a sight that stole her breath away.