Chapter 37 - Settling In

A/N the painting referred to later is above

The next morning, Connor woke and rolled over to find Riley gone.  The clock on his phone read almost 10:00.  Not bad for a Sunday morning.  No sounds came from the bathroom so Riley wasn't in there.  Connor stretched and sighed, slightly disappointed she wasn't there to be ravished again before breakfast.

At the thought of breakfast, his stomach rumbled so Connor kicked back the covers, dressed in his sleeping pants and a tank top then padded barefoot toward the kitchen.  Maybe Riley was already there and they could christen the kitchen.  That thought made a devious smirk pull at his lips.

While descending the stairs, the smell of waffles filled Connor's nose.  So Riley was indeed up and already making breakfast.  Chattering from the TV on in the den gave Connor pause because it sounded like a kids show.  Sure enough, Kaylee was engrossed with a cartoon.  When he proceeded and entered the kitchen, Connor saw Riley and Vivian having a whispered, heated discussion.

"I don't care, Mom! I didn't have a choice!" Riley attacked in defense.

"This has Asher written all over it! You dove in blindly with him and now this guy?" Vivian shot back.  "When will you learn?"

"Connor is nothing like Asher! What was I supposed to do? I had only had a couple of days to get out!"

"You could have come to me, Riley," Vivian remarked, sounding wounded. "My door is always open for you to come home."

"Oh yeah, because Asher would just loooove that!" Riley growled, throwing her arms up for added drama. "I need to stay independent of you or he will come after me, Mom! Remember last time? It was only because Dad was sick that the judge didn't fall for Asher's tricks!"

"How is this independent, huh?" The older woman condemned.  "You're shacking up with a random guy you have only known for a few months! That screams promiscuous to the courts!" Vivian's voice was harsh and judgemental.

Riley opened her mouth to reply but sighed and clamped it shut.  "There's no point arguing, Mom.  At least I have a roof and no history of promiscuity.  Asher hasn't contacted us in years which means he doesn't care about us."

"If he's served you with papers, he's decided to care, Riley! You can't afford to be stupid! Kaylee's well being is on the line!"

"You think I don't know that?" Riley's voice cracked with pain.  "Everything I do is for her!  I've put my personal needs and wants on hold so she can have the best of everything! Finally someone worthwhile has entered my life and he deserves a chance!"

"He's going to hurt you, Riley," Vivian's voice was hushed and cold.

"I love him, Mom!" Riley declared ignoring the raised brow wide eyed expression of shock on her mother's face.  "And he loves me. He loves me with the extra fat, the scars and all my drama!" Vivian opened her mouth to reply but Riley put a finger up to stop her.  "And DON'T give me that whole speech about how you read people. You barely have spoken to Connor.  Please, Mom...for me...give him a chance.  A fair chance."

The padding of little feet came up behind Connor.  He glanced down to meet the face of a frowning Kaylee.

"Are they arguing again?" She asked him, her eyes flashing with intense sadness that matched her mother's.

Connor nodded and crossed his arms over his chest.  "Yup.  About me it would seem."

Kaylee sighed and shook her head.  She then raised both hands and looked up at Connor.  "Don't worry.  I got this."  The feisty pint sized Riley waltzed into the kitchen with confidence and stood between the two arguing women.