Chapter 43 - Moving On

A couple of hours later, Vivian was in surgery and Riley was in a trauma room dressed in a hospital gown.   Kaylee was sleeping in a bed next to her, dehydrated and exhausted so they hooked her up with some fluids.

A nurse had taken blood work from both of them.  Kaylee's was OK but Riley's needed further testing.  That made her nervous but it could be the pregnancy.

The curtain pulled back to reveal a woman in a doctor's robe.  "Hello, Riley.  I'm Dr. Mitchell from OB.  It seems they saw some elevated hcg levels in your blood work so they called me.  We're going to do an ultrasound and see what's going on, OK?"

"OK," Riley nodded and laid back.  Connor stood to the side, shifting on his feet while holding her hand.  His hands were a little sweaty from nerves.  Riley was completely calm.  "Connor, it's OK.  This won't hurt."

"Riley, when was your last period?" Dr. Mitchell asked as she typed some things into her laptop.

"Um...I've skipped a couple and a home pregnancy test said positive just yesterday."

"OK, so pregnancy is possible?"  Riley nodded.  "Let's take a look."

The doctor pushed open the gown, squeezed warm gel on Riley's stomach then pressed the camera to her and slid the gel around.  Riley bit her lower lip keenly watching the monitor.  Finally the doctor smiled as she hit some buttons.

"Well, congratulations love birds!  There's your baby's first picture and...here's the heart beat.  It looks like you're about 12 weeks, Riley." The doctor spun the monitor so they could see and Connor sucked in a breath as the rapid fluttering heartbeat filled the small space. Riley's eyes filled with tears.  "I'll get this printed for you and write a prescription for a prenatal vitamin."

Connor gazed down at Riley grinning widely as he leaned forward to gently kissed her lips.  Riley smiled up at him, her eyes shiny with tears. 

"You're gonna be a daddy," Riley whispered cupping his cheek.

"And I couldn't be happier about it,"  he smiled back.

"Happier about what?"  A sleepy Kaylee asked, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.  "Can this come out now?" She pointed to the IV.

"We'll ask the nurse, sweetie," Riley answered then beckoned Kaylee over and pointed to the monitor.  "That's your new baby brother or sister."

Kaylee's eyes lit up, her face broke into a grin and she squealed in pure delight. "You're gonna have a baby?  YAY!" 

****

Another couple of hours later, Vivian was out of surgery, breathing on her own.  Riley and Connor decided to take Kaylee home to get some real rest.  They would come back first thing the next morning.  They grabbed dinner on the way home and ate quickly.  Kaylee had her bath then willingly crawled into her bed and fell fast asleep.

Once Connor got Riley in their bed, he tugged her clothes off and then his.  Their lips met and tongues wrestled in eagerness.  Riley arched her back as Connor did wonders with his mouth and eased the ache throbbing at her core. 

He took his time kissing his way up Riley's thighs, stopping at her stomach and placing soft kisses on her belly.

"Soon I'll be so big I won't be able to see you down there," Riley teased.

Connor grinned.  "They say that when one of our senses is lessened, the others intensify."  Riley laughed warmly and Connor smiled at the melodious sound silenced over the last few days.

"I'll take up most of the bed." She teased again but gave a threatening look.

"You already do," Connor smirked as he continued his kisses up to her breasts and found a nipple.

"Ohhh soon...You won't be able to do...that..." Riley moaned, grabbing his hair with her fingers and holding tight.

Connor stopped, peering up at her with a quirked eyebrow.  "Why not?"

"I plan on nursing so they will belong to Baby. Plus, closer to my due date nipple stimulation can bring on labor."

Connor shrugged. "Then I better not waste time now!" Riley chuckled then moaned as he suckled heartily on the other breast.

Soon Riley couldn't take it anymore and yanked him by his hair to her lips where she claimed his mouth with hers.  At the same time, Connor plunged into her depths and brought them both to ecstacy.

****

One month later

"Connor! She's coming!" Kaylee called, running back toward the
kitchen.

The partner in crime had been standing guard after getting dressed in her favorite pink dress. Connor was busy in the kitchen making dinner already dressed in a suit.  Riley was upstairs showering and getting ready for dinner.

"OK, good, we're ready! Go sit at the table," Connor answered and quickly followed Kaylee into the dining room.

Riley padded down the stairs walking, more like waddling slowly toward the dining room. "Great! I have to pee! Again!"

"No, no, no, you're fine, Tesouro," Connor chuckled.  "You look beautiful.  Now, come sit down."  Riley rolled her eyes but conceded.

"You told me to dress fancy but nothing fits! I'm not even halfway through and I'm bloating!  You did this to me too, Kaylee."

"I love you, Mommy," Kaylee grinned.

"I love you, too Kaylee," Riley grinned back taking her daughter's hand and squeezed it. Then she reached out for Connor's hand.  "I love you , too, Papai."  Connor groaned and rolled his eyes.

"I'm gonna get Maria back for teaching you that, but...I love you, too."

After a brief moment, Connor and Kaylee exchanged glances and Kaylee nodded.  With a swift movement, Connor fell to one knee in front of Riley who gasped and covered her mouth.  Kaylee cleared her throat.

"Oh right.  Wrong one, sorry..." Connor shifted dramatically to be kneeling in front of Kaylee.  Riley scrunched up her nose in confusion.

"Kaylee Jones, you have quickly become a bright light in my life.  Your laughter makes me laugh, your singing along to your favorite movies is the best way to spend an afternoon.  I am so glad you are in my life." Connor and Kaylee grinned at each other as he pulled out a small light blue rectangular box.  He flipped it open to reveal a necklace with a pink heart hanging from the silver chain. "Will you do me the honor...of being my stepdaughter?"

"YES!" Kaylee squealed and clapped in celebration.  Riley's eyes filled with tears as she watched him put the necklace on Kaylee.

Those tears fell as Connor then pivoted to her with another light blue box but smaller and square.  With a wide grin, Connor opened it. The ring was a Tiffany's sterling silver three stone diamond. It was utterly breathtaking.

"Riley Jones..." Connor grinned as tears already streamed down Riley's cheeks. "From the day I met you, I haven't wanted to be away.  You are intriguing, strong, smart and beautiful, inside and out.  You have raised an amazing daughter on your own and I can't wait to raise this one with you.  I knew I loved you the moment you walked up to that restaurant and fluffed your hair.  Will you marry me?"

"YES!" Riley squealed identically to Kaylee's and threw her arms around Connor's neck kissing him fiercely. They broke apart long enough for him to place the ring on her finger.

Let the celebration begin!

Connor finally proposed! 🎉🎁🎊

And baby is just fine lol

Happy Friday!

Enjoy, vote, comment and share!

❤️