Chapter 33 - Eviction

When they landed back in Chicago, Riley called her mom to let her know they were back and Vivian immediately requested for Kaylee to come stay with her.  Vivian had missed her girls deeply and wanted to spend some alone time with Kaylee.  Riley agreed and Connor drove them to Vivian's.

Riley found it odd that Vivian looked so tired, pale and haggard not to mention noticeably thinner than only two weeks ago.  When she inquired, Vivian dismissed it.

"Don't worry about me," Vivian waved her off.  So Riley let it go.

Connor dropped his parents off at his house first, helping with their luggage then took Riley home to her apartment.

"You're sure you don't want to come up?" She smirked.

"Tempting, but I need to help get my parents settled," He pouted which earned an eye roll.  "I'll come over Friday and we can make dinner.  How does that sound?"

"I guess I'll have to settle on waiting two whole days," She sighed.

Connor leaned over toward her, languidly claiming her mouth.  Riley willingly responded in kind. "See you Friday," He smirked.

****

"What do you mean I'm being evicted?" Riley argued.  She saw the eviction notice posted on her door and immediately called the property manager but Barbara called Riley first. "I signed a lease!"

"Yes, and in that lease is a clause that as the landlord I reserve the right to terminate and evict a tenant at my will," Barbara explained.

Riley was angry and terrified.  "Well, I'll be rereading my lease right now."

"You have until Sunday by 11:59 p.m., the last day of the current month, to have all your things removed and the apartment professionally cleaned as outlined in the lease."

"WHAT?" Riley yelled, tears threatening to fall.  "I can't find a new place, pack and move in four days! It's Wednesday!"

"If you are not out by that day and time, I will have no choice but to call the police.  Do you understand, Ms. Jones?" Barbara's tone was clipped.

"Yes," Riley whispered, roughly wiping away the tears that started to rapidly fall.  "I understand."

The landlord hung up without a goodbye.  Riley immediately went to her files and dug out the lease, reading over it carefully.  Her heart sank when she saw the clause the landlord was referring too. 

What was she going to do? 

Riley sighed heavily, flopping herself down on her bed and buried her face in her hands then let out a frustrated scream into the pillow.  She had no choice but to pack the essentials in luggage, everything else in boxes and put the boxes in storage then move in with her mom temporarily.

****
Friday

Connor pulled up to the apartment building at five minutes to 5.  He had been looking forward to their dinner date. It wasn't unusual to not hear from Riley every day since she would be starting to get ready to start for the beginning of a new school year in less than a month. This was their previously agreed upon time to meet.

He locked the car and carried the dozen red roses in one hand as he hit the button to page Riley's apartment.  The buzz of the door told him it was open and he proceeded bounding up the stairs two at a time.  When Connor reached her apartment door, he was a little surprised it was unlocked.  Maybe his little temptress had planned on seducing him this time.  He grinned.

Stepping over the threshold, Connor realized that seduction was not the scenario.  His brows knitted together taking in the assembled boxes throughout the living room and kitchen accompanied by the sound of soft crying coming from the back bedroom.  Dodging his way around the half filled boxes, Connor went toward the sound, finding Riley's red rimmed swollen eyes and tear stained face glancing up at him from more boxes she was sadly filling.