Chapter 29 - On The Beach

Back up at the house, Connor had not spoken to his other three sisters.  Heavy, tense, silence reigned in the kitchen.  Calista came down shortly into the dominating quiet sending one sister at a time to visit their grandmother.  After some gentle probing, Connor filled his mother in on the mid day events. He remained silent as Calista yelled at him in Portuguese, scolding him fiercely about the importance of being honest.

Soon after Calista was finished, as she was holding her crying son, Maria entered the kitchen.  Connor straightened up, quickly wiped his eyes gazing helplessly passed his youngest sister, eyes wide with deep hope Riley was there with her.

"She's still down at the beach," Maria explained. Connor started to go but Maria put her hands on his chest and stopped him. "Please listen to me."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Connor frowned like a child at his youngest sister.  Yes, youngest even to her twin by five whole minutes.  He grunted stubbornly to signal for her to talk.

"I'm the one who brought up the subject of Cynthia.  I'm the one who got the girls going.  Be mad at me, no one else.  It was wrong, stupid and inappropriate especially with Riley here. I'm sorry."

"Go on," He growled, shifting on his feet.

"You are better with Riley," Maria continued after a deep inhale.  "That's where the conversation started, truly meant to be a compliment to her.  She is so happy with you and I've never seen you happier.  Fight for her, Connor!" She implored, closing the distance between them. "Don't you dare keep anymore secrets from her!  If you break Riley's heart again, I'll come after you. She's a sweet, genuine woman who is an excellent teacher but Riley needs and deserves a strong man behind her even if she doesn't know it yet.  She can survive without you but I doubt she wants to.  Do you want to survive without her?"

Connor sighed raking his hand through his raven locks.  "No, I don't want to live without her." He shoved a hand in his pocket and pulled out a square, light blue box, handing it to Maria.

She took it hesitantly, flipping the lip open.  Both Maria and their mom gasped at the sight.  Inside it was a brilliant, three stone diamond ring set in sterling silver.

"I've been carrying it around for over a month, waiting for the right time," He sighed.  "It came up earlier and she seemed to like the idea... I had this plan to take her to the beach, give this whole cheesy speech about how I kissed my first girlfriend on the beach and I want to kiss my last girlfriend on the beach blah, blah, blah."

Maria and Calista grinned from ear to ear up at Connor.

"Either that or," He reached into his other pocket, lips quirking into a devious smirk.  "I was going to give her this."  He handed them another light blue box but it was flat and rectangular.  Inside of that was a silver necklace with a pink heart pendant.  "I was going to ask Riley's permission to ask Kaylee to be my stepdaughter.  You know, kind of throw her off then pull out the other box.  The look on her face would be amazing to see." He smirked imaging the scene in his mind.

Sadness darkened his ocean orbs, tilted down as he rubbed both boxes with his thumbs when Maria gave them back  Filled with dread neither plan would come to fruition now, he sighed.

"Connor," Maria's soft voice made him stop rambling, eyes flicking up to hers.  She had the same look their mother did when he was rambling to her earlier.  "Go fight for her.  Riley loves you, you love her.  I've never seen you happier than when you are with her.  Confess, explain and fight for her every day."

He nodded, the corner of his lips tilting upward as he returned the two boxes to his pockets.  Kissing first his sister on the cheeks then his mother, Connor then took off running for the beach.