Chapter 5 - Followed

A moment later, Connor snapped out of his shock that Riley left their date and soon would leave the restaurant. His mind kicked into gear, determined to find out what happened and how he could help. He headed toward the door, flagging their waiter, Anthony down on his way.

"There's been an emergency. Send me the bill." Anthony nodded and Connor burst through the front door, eyes scanning for Riley. She was standing on the sidewalk, just getting into a cab. The car drove off before Connor reached them. He flagged the next taxi and ordered the driver to follow the cab Riley was in.

****

Once Riley was in her cab, she called her mom to get more details on what was going. Kaylee had thrown up twice in the last hour. It was almost 7:30. Riley's heart was heavy that she had to leave her date early. It was incredible. She would have to call Connor in the morning and apologize again, maybe ask him to lunch to repay for her rapid exit.

After nearly a 30 minute drive, the cab pulled up to Riley's apartment building. She paid the driver and burst out the door, running through the front of the building. It was amazing how a woman could run in high heels when powerfully motivated.

The elevator ride to the 4th floor was painfully slow but finally, she made it. Riley pushed the door open after unlocking it, kicked off her shoes, dropped her purse and keys then went straight to the bathroom. Kaylee was in there, face in the toilet, vomiting again.

The cab Connor was in lost sight of Riley's part way through their drive. He paid the driver extra to track the cab by its number and soon they were in front of the apartment building. Connor paid and stepped out, heading for the building. He didn't know her apartment number, so he read the listed directory above the mailboxes.

Jones #406.

In the elevator, Connor raked his fingers through his hair, messing up the groomed style he had for the date. His mind raced with all the scenarios that could've cause her to leave. Maybe it was an exit call?

It occurred to him that Connor never asked if she was seeing someone or even if she was married. Why would Riley have come to dinner if she wasn't single? He had to find out.

Once he reached her front door, Connor noticed it was opened slightly. He knocked but there was no answer. Instead, he heard the sounds of someone vomiting. Connor immediately pushed open the door and quickly followed the bereaved sounds. They had stopped by the time he reached the hallway opening giving a view of the bathroom. He stopped in his tracks at the sight before him. Of all the scenarios, this one never crossed into his mind.

There, crumbled on the floor cradling a crying little girl, was Riley still in her dress. She was rocking back and forth, singing softly and stroking the little girls thick blonde locks, so similar to Riley's except the lighter color. An older woman came up behind him.

"Riley, I have the wa-...Who are you and how did you get in here?" Vivian demanded angrily.

Connor whipped around, raising his hands up in surrender. Riley turned to look from the floor of the bathroom.

"Connor," Riley whispered. When he glanced back over at her, tears welled in her eyes like she was heartbroken.

"I said, who are you and how did you get in?" Vivian demanded, not noticing the silent moment between this man and her daughter.

"I'm Connor Westwood, Riley's date," Connor sighed more in relief than anything else, pivoting back toward the older woman. "She said she had an emergency. I was worried so I followed her home. The door was ajar. I knocked but the sound of vomiting worried me so I let myself in."