Chapter 41 - Invasion of Privacy

"What the hell is this, Ms. Jones?" The judge barked once the door to his chambers was closed. He slammed the file down then sat in his large leather chair and leaned back steepling his fingers.

Riley stepped forward cautiously reaching for the folder. Her eyes widened, burning with tears when she saw the scandalous pictures of her and Connor. These were taken less than a month ago. The vantage point had to be just outside their home. Their intimate entangled positions caught in high definition. Dan leaned over and caught a brief glimpse of the photos. A strangled noise sounded in his throat as he looked away cheeks turning bright red.

"Well?" The judge probed.

Riley cleared her throat and stuck her chin up. "These are pictures of my significant other and I being intimate in our home. Is that a crime?"

The judge looked at her firmly. "Was your daughter home when you were intimate like this?"

"No, Sir. She stays the weekend with her grandmother, my mother. This was over a weekend."

"Then Mr. Price, I don't see the big deal. People have intimate relations every day and that doesn't make them an unfit parent. I pulled you in here because of the intimacy of these pictures. If the child was not home, I don't see the problem here."

Riley let out a breath of relief but Asher shot her a glare of anger.

"But who is this guy? Some random guy she met on the street?" Asher threw out.

"That's better than the nightclub where we met!" Riley tossed back.

"Enough!" The judge yelled. "I will not have mudslinging and that's exactly what these pictures are. Now, Ms. Jones, who is this man?"

Riley sighed. "His name is Connor Westwood. He's an architect with his own firm. Yes, we met by chance but we have been dating for over six months. He has been nothing but respectful, has a steady job, steady income and treats Kaylee and I both very well."

"So well that you are living together already, right?" Asher bit out.

The judge looked back at Riley raising his eyebrows in question. "Well, there was a problem at our apartment and he offered to rent us one of his income properties."

"So he only visits and stays on weekends?" The judge asked.

"No," Riley replied honestly. "He does live there. He knows of my past hostile experiences with Mr. Price and didn't want my daughter and I living alone."

"And you deeply care for him, don't you?" The judge's eyes softened just a bit.

"Yes, Sir, I love him and he loves me and Kaylee. He understands, respects and accepts that we are a package."

"I see." Another moment of silence and a heavy sigh. "I am not in a position to dictate what you do sexually, Ms. Jones. My job is to protect the child, to protect Kaylee. That being said, since you are in an intimate relationship with someone I need to emphasize the importance of discretion when you two are intimate. Keep it in the bedroom when Kaylee is at home. Understand?" Riley nodded. "Set up boundaries or rules that when mommy's door is closed, knock first. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Sir."

"OK. Good. Now, is Mr. Westwood present today?" Riley nodded. "I want Mr. Westwood fingerprinted and to have a thorough background check done. I want it presented to the court within a week. Even if you break up tomorrow, do it. Understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

"OK. Let's return and I'll make my final judgements."

When they came back out into the courtroom, Riley sought out Connor immediately. He sat up raising his eyebrows in silent question. She gave him a small smile hoping to reassure him that all was OK.