Chapter 39 - Unravel

Connor's trip was highly successful.  He and Gabriel met with Liam O'Hagan and his board of trustees for the museum all approving of the design pitch.  It was wonderful catching up with an old friend, spending time with his growing family.  He too had married a single mom and now they had two children of their own.  Inside Connor longed for that even more with Riley.

Now Connor and Gabriel were on their flight home to Chicago about to descend to the ground.  They would have taken his private plane, but Connor let his parents use it to fly back to Portugal to check in on the villa.

Connor could hardly wait to hold Riley again.  She had called the night before in tears and shared Vivian's news.  If Connor had any control, he would have flown home that night.  Riley insisted he stay and simply return the following day, needing time alone to process.  He could respect that.

Of course their luggage was last to be dropped to the belt.  It took forever to get a taxi and Gabriel had to be dropped off first.  Finally, the taxi stopped in front of the now familiar yellow house. 

Connor got out, retrieved his luggage then began walking toward the front door.  A car parked in front of the house stopped him.  The driver was laying back in the driver's seat and there was no permit sticker on the windshield as required by the city to park on the street. This was all suspicious so Connor strolled up to the car and knocked on the window.  The driver lowered the window giving a nervous smile.

"Hey, can I help you?" He asked.

"I was going to ask you the same thing," Connor quipped.  "You're parked in front of my house. I don't know you and you don't have a parking permit on the car.  I think you'd better leave."

"I uh... I'm visiting my... my sister and uh... she lives there," He pointed at what seemed like Connor's house.

"You're Riley's brother?" Stupid.  He shouldn't have said her name. "You don't look like him." Connor bluffed to save his slip of tongue.

"Well, she's like my sister...it's a...surprise and...um...I'll go.  I'll come back another time." 

The man started the car and quickly drove off down the street.  Connor should have gotten a picture of the car and plate but he'd remember what it looked like if he came back.

Picking up his luggage, Connor slowly stalked up to the front door.  He'd have to call his security team to keep an eye on the house and Riley's school.  Something about that guy just screamed trouble. 

****

Around the corner of Riley's street, Damian pulled over and dialed Asher on his cell.

"Hey Boss, I found her."

"Send me the address."

"Sent. But uh, Boss?"

"What is it?"

"Um, that guy is there.  He talked to me and said that it's his house.  Does her brother live here?"

"No," Asher seethed.  "It's not her brother then.  Find out who it is and what their relationship is.  Get pictures of him. I need evidence for court."

When the phone clicked, Damian knew Asher was done. He had to go back and stake out the house but he'd go back after dark so the car wouldn't be recognized.  It wouldn't be a long wait because the sun was already setting.

****

Connor quietly opened the front door quietly setting his luggage down already eager to hold and ravish Riley again.  He heard her voice coming from the living room so that's where he headed.