Chapter 40 - Day In Court

The two weeks that followed passed quickly.  On the morning of Riley's court date, Connor awoke to the sound of vomiting in the bathroom.  Quickly he ran in to find Riley with her face in the toilet.  He gathered her chocolate waves and held them back with one hand while rubbing circles between her shoulders with the other.

"It's ok...there you go..." He soothed.  When she finished and leaned back against the tub, Connor filled a small cup with water and wet a washcloth. Kneeling in front of her, he dabbed pale and clammy face.  "Are you OK?"

"Yeah," She panted.  "This...is my anxiety...It happens before...each court date."

Connor pulled her into his arms holding her until she stopped trembling from the stress of purging.  "Everything is going to be fine."

"You don't know that, but thanks," Riley smiled weakly at him.  "I need to get ready.  We have to leave soon."

They pulled themselves up, woke up Kaylee and went downstairs for breakfast. Riley hardly ate.  She wasn't hungry and blamed it on nerves. Connor urged her to eat a banana at least and Riley finally complied.

Riley dressed in a navy blue skater dress with three quarter length sleeves.  It was fitted at the waist then flared out and went to her knees.  The cut was very flattering and didn't show too much cleavage which was important for court.  The black patent leather belt added some polished professionalism to her look. Riley also curled her hair into ringlets, leaving it to hang loose and put on minimal makeup.  It was essential she look put together but not overly adorned.  Simple elegance.

Connor dressed in a white dress shirt and neutral gray business suit that was tailored to perfection on his muscular form with a navy tie.  He smiled when he saw his tie matched Riley's dress.

"You look beautiful, as always," He complimented kissing her forehead.

"You're not so bad yourself," She quipped and pinched his backside. 

Riley dropped Kaylee off as usual but told her she wouldn't be at school because of an appointment, leaving off what kind it was.  The only thing different was that Connor drove them to the school and then went together with Riley to the courthouse.  Vivian would meet them there.

Their drive downtown was silent as Connor maneuvered the car into a parking lot.  They walked silently hand in hand, fingers entwined up the courthouse steps.  Separating through security was a necessity but once through, their fingers found each other again like magnets.  Riley found comfort in Connor's supportive presence and touch.  Previous court hearings she was either alone or her dad had come along.

At 8:00 on the dot, they entered the courtroom and took seats toward the back.  Dan entered shortly after with his thick file of their hefty  evidence. He gave a tight lipped smile at Riley and shook hands with Connor.  Vivian wasn't there yet which made Riley nervous.  She texted but got no response.

A few minutes later, Asher walked in with his attorney.  He stood in the center aisle and brushed his hands down his black tailored suit, looking around with keen sapphire eyes, searching for Riley.

When Asher found her, his lips curled into a malicious smile.  He recognized Dan as her attorney and the man next to her from the pictures he had in his own folder of evidence. Since they sat toward the back, Asher stalked toward the front of the rows to make sure Riley saw him and would likely get unnerved.

Riley's hand tightened around Connor's when she saw Asher.  Her heart dropped into her stomach causing it to churn with rocky nerves.  She had hoped that he wouldn't show like so many of their other court dates.  This one was different.  He initiated, so it was on his terms. Of course he would show.