Chapter 6 - Popsicles

Riley rolled over in bed immediately blinking due to the intrusive brightness of the golden sunlight in her eyes. Didn't she fall asleep on the couch? How did she get in bed? She was still wearing her spaghetti strap shirt and yoga pants but was tucked carefully in her bed. Sheets on the other side were rumpled back but after running her hand along the smooth surface, it was cold. The smell of turkey bacon and the cheerful sound of bubbly giggles sent Riley eagerly getting out of bed. Who was cooking? Quietly Riley padded down the hall toward the giddy sounds and appetizing smells wafting from the kitchen. What Riley observed, made her heart skip a beat.

Kaylee sat on the counter, kicking her bare feet happily while slurping at a popsicle next to where Connor, with a dish towel slung over his shoulder was frying turkey bacon, scrambling eggs and had pancakes on the skillet.

"So..." Kaylee giggled between noisy licks of her frozen treat. "Were you my Mommy's date last night?"

"Yes, I was." Connor must have winked at Kaylee because she winked back, clicking her tongue in her signature response.

"Ooooooo, did you kiss her?" Riley shook her head, remaining hidden just out of sight around the corner of the hallway covering her mouth to stifle her laugh.

Nosey kid.

"No," Connor chuckled then leaned into whisper in Kaylee's ear. "But I did hold her hand..." Kaylee gasped playfully. "And it was awesome."

Kaylee let out a joyful giggle and Connor chuckled again, broad shoulders shaking as the warm sound filled Riley's ears. After biting down on her popsicle, Kaylee bent her head and squinted an eye giving her "sour" face. Connor threw his head back laughing fully at that sight.

"Don't you want to kiss Momma?" Kaylee asked wiggling her eyebrows.

That little imp...

Connor smirked at Kaylee then pivoted toward her, hand on his hip and his tone turned very serious. "It's not respectful to kiss a girl on the first date." He was shaking his index finger at her and Kaylee's eyes went wide, leaning dramatically on every word of his advice. "Make sure the boy is going to treat you right before you let him kiss you. Got it, Missy?"

Kaylee nodded then Connor nodded in acknowledgement. After taking another bite of her popsicle, Kaylee stealthily continued her inquisitive interrogation.

"What are we having for breakfast?"

"You, sweetheart, are having that popsicle and if it stays in your tummy, you can have one baby pancake." Connor expertly flipped the pancakes in the skillet. "This little one here is just for you."

"Yummy!" Kaylee squealed, earning another chuckle from Connor. "Do I get Nutella on it?"

Connor narrowed his eyes at her. "Hmm...Alright, but don't tell your Mom, ok?"

"OK!" Kaylee grinned wide. "Don't forget to make her some coffee otherwise..." Kaylee scrunched up her face and scowled, growling as she finished, "Grumpy Mommy comes out."

Connor shook his head and let out a bellowing laugh. This kid was witty and hilarious! "We don't want Grumpy Mommy!"

Stifling chuckles, Riley tiptoed back to her room slipping on a thin robe then tied her hair up in a messy bun. A smile curved her lips as she snuck into the bathroom to do her morning routine.

What a heartwarming scene that was to happen upon in the kitchen! Could this be her new life? It's way too early to tell. Once finished in the bathroom, Riley padded back out to the kitchen just as the smell of mocha coffee was added to the already wonderfully delicious aromatic kitchen.