Chapter 22 - Hallucinations

Sometime during the night, Connor awoke drenched in sweat. Upon further investigation, he realized it was because Riley's temperature was back up and she was shivering.

"Riley," Connor shook her, firmly needing to make sure she was still coherent. "Riley baby, talk to me. How are you feeling?"

"I'm c-c-old," She mumbled weakly through chattering teeth.

Connor quickly got out of bed and rushed to get a cloth for her head. He placed it at the base of her neck ignoring her wince at the drastically different temperature.

"You need to take some ibuprofen," He instructed then rushed to get the medicine and a glass of water.

It was not an easy task getting Riley to sit up enough to take the medicine. She winced and whimpered at being moved but Connor knew she had to take the pills. Coaxing her with soft, loving words Connor put the glass up to her lips for Riley to sip, which she did. One pill at a time, he repeated this until she had taken the max dose.

With tears slowly falling down her face and a shaking body, Connor gently laid her back down onto the bed facing him. He rubbed her back in large, gentle circles until her body finally calmed. It was probably more than half an hour until she did, moresoe due to the medicine finally kicking in. Connor was just relieved Riley wasn't shivering as much anymore.

Draping an arm over her waist, Connor pulled Riley toward him after he crawled back into bed behind her. Not one bit of him cared he was sweaty because she was burning with fever and sweating too. He just wanted to be close and make sure Riley was OK through the night.

****

"No," Riley mumbled, squirming slightly in her bed. "No, give it back!"

Connor stirred and rolled from his stomach to his side, giving a sleepy yet quizzical look at Riley. He reached out to touch her forehead but she swatted him away firmly.

"Riley," Connor called softly, reaching his hand out to touch her shoulder.

"Don't!" She whined, scrunching her face up as if in great pain. "Please, don't..."

Worry gnawed at Connor as he watched Riley tense up, thrash and cry in her fever induced nightmare. He searched his mind trying to remember if it was better to leave them, or wake them. Or was that sleepwalking?

Riley was indeed caught in a horrible nightmare. She was locked in the past, in one of her last blow up incidences with Asher before she finally was able to safely get Kaylee and leave.

"What do you think you are doing?" Asher yelled, further pinning Riley against the wall.

She hadn't been fast enough. Asher had left again, most likely to be with her so Riley started packing her basic things along with Kaylee's. She finally had mustered up the courage to leave Asher for good.

"I-I I told you...the next time you went to her," She weakly explained as tears streamed down her face. "I would take the baby and leave. I won't be second choice any more! I'm your wife!"

"Maybe if you put out more often," Asher sneered, getting within inches of her face. "Like a wife should!"

"Maybe if you didn't hurt me..." Riley whispered, barely audible. Fear and hope engulfed her. Fear that Asher heard her swirling with hope that he didn't.

"What did you say?" He asked slowly. His hands tightly gripping her arms.

Riley opened her mouth to repeat her question but Asher reeled his hand back, bringing it swiftly across her face with a loud smack. Her head flew to the left at the impact. Riley bit her quivering lip to hold back the tears.