Chapter 4

"I detected an instability in your program. It can cause an unpleasant feeling, like fear in humans." Connor began to interrogate the android. You listened and watched with Hank, Gavin, and one other cop from the other side of the one-way mirror. Connor glanced at the deviant android's arms. "You're damaged. Did your owner do that? Did he beat you?" He asked. You wondered where Connor was going with this. "You've refused to talk since they arrested you. If you don't cooperate they'll do things the hard way. Is that what you want?" Still nothing. What was Connor doing? Did he even have a plan? "You don't seem to understand the situation. You killed a human. They'll tare you apart if you don't say something." You were stunned. He's threatening it?  "Listen, I'm on your side, but there's nothing I can do if you won't talk to me." He said. Suddenly, the deviant moved. This made you pay even more attention.

"What...what are they gonna do to me?" He asked, seemingly afraid. He was kind of jumpy. "They're gonna destroy me aren't they?"

"No. I think they just want to understand. They know your master abused you. It wasn't your fault." Connor said. He might be getting somewhere! You thought.

"Why did you tell them you found me? Why couldn't you just have left me there?" The deviant asked.

"They were going to find you anyway. I was just faster. If they would've found you first, you would've been shot on sight." Connor said. The deviant looked alarmed.

"I-I don't wanna die." He said. 

"Then talk to me," Connor replied.

"I-I...." He said. "I can't." Connor stayed silent for a moment. You saw his gaze become colder. Suddenly, he started shouting.

"28 stab wounds!" You were taken aback by his sudden serious act. You watched as he became more aggressive with the deviant. You had to admit, for being programmed to act that way, Cyberlife had done a good job. It was very convincing. You could've sworn he actually was angry at the android. Damn, Connor can get down to business if he wants to. Didn't know Connor could be aggressive. Never struck me that he'd be programmed that way. You thought. He was soon able to get the android to confess. You smiled a little. Nice work, for an android. 

Connor began to come back toward all of you, but then the deviant started banging its head against the table. You stood up straight, alarmed.

"What's it doing?" Gavin asked.

"It's destroying itself," Hank said. You all hurried into the room.

"Stop it, god damn it!" Gavin said.

"I-I can't! I can't stop it!" The other officer exclaimed. Of course. Androids are stronger than humans. The deviant smashed it's head in and stopped moving. You sighed, slightly frustrated.

"Damn androids." You muttered. You, Hank, and Connor left and you decided it was time to go home. You still felt sick again. Fuck, why did I drink so much?

"Are you alright, Ms. (L/n)?" You looked up at Connor again.

"Why the hell are you always hovering over me?"

"You're obviously experiencing after effects of your intoxication levels. I could help you get home if you like." You glared at him.

"Listen, you piece of plastic, I don't need a fucking android escorting me home! I'm perfectly fine with getting there myself..." Your head started spinning again and you wobbled on your feet a little. Connor caught you. You would've struggled, but your head felt like it was on fire. You hardly even registered that Connor was holding you.

"I'm sorry, Lieutenant (L/n), but you are not well enough to go alone." He grabbed your arm and took you outside. You opened your mouth to protest, but all that came out was a pained groan as your head hurt even more. You were getting drowsier by the minute. Your legs nearly gave out, but Connor noticed before you had a chance to fall over. He picked you up and carried you into a taxi he'd called to pick you both up. "What is your address, Lieutenant?" You muttered it to him and he nodded.

The taxi drove to your house and Connor laid you down, resting your head in his lap. You were too out of it to protest. Besides, laying down did help a little, you had to admit. On the way to your house, you couldn't stay awake any longer and you ended up passing out in the taxi.

Connor's POV

She passed out with her head resting in my lap on the way to her house. I took this chance to note her features. She looked a lot less upset when she slept. She looked peaceful for once. I brushed some of her hair out of her face. She looked more relaxed like this. I watched as her chest rose and fell with her breaths. I didn't know why, but she was interesting to me. She was different than other humans in a way. She had the same stubborn attitude as Lieutenant Anderson. That much I could already tell. I wondered if his attitude had just transferred over to her since he had been her instructor when she first became a cop. Something told me that there was more to it than that.

We soon arrived at her house. I carried her to the door and set her down in the chair outside. I tried to wake her up so she could tell me where her house key was. She wasn't going to wake up for a while. I knew I had to find it myself. I saw something sticking out from underneath a flowerpot on the ground. I took the hidden spare key from under the pot and I took her inside. I laid her down on the couch and covered her up with a soft blanket. I looked around her home. She had a nice place in accordance with modern human standards, and it seemed she kept it pretty clean. Her home was a little outdated with technology, but it was still a bit more modern. Humans would call it 'a nice middle ground'. 

I knew I would make her upset if I stayed, so I decided to leave. Also, from what I understood it usually wasn't okay to enter someone's home without permission and I technically didn't have permission into her home. I also knew her getting upset wouldn't help her with her current state. Even if she was sober when she woke up, it still wouldn't be beneficial.

I began to head out when a thought occurred to me. She would be confused about how she got home if I just left. I wrote a note for her and then I left. As I did so, I put the spare key back, making sure it was completely under the pot this time. With that, I left her house knowing that she was safe and warm inside. I paused. Wait...why did I have an urge to make sure she got home alright? This question puzzled me for a moment. I came to a quick conclusion. I'm working with her now. It only makes sense that I take her home safely.