Chapter 76

Connor's POV

It was Sunday and I didn't have anything to do, so I went to visit my friends at New Jericho. I walked in and looked around. I saw that none of my friends were on the main floor. I did see Simon and Josh, however. They were always together. The two of them were very close friends. I walked over to see if they knew where any of my friends were. They spotted me on my way over.

"Hello, Connor." Simon greeted.

"Hello, Simon. Hello, Josh." I greeted in return. "I was coming for a visit and I was curious if any of you know where my friends are?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah. They're hanging out in the smaller lounge room, I believe." Josh replied. I smiled a little.

"Thank you. It's good seeing you both again." 

"You too, Connor!" Simon said with a smile.

"Always nice when the guy who practically saved us in the end comes to say hello." Josh chuckled. I chuckled along as well.

"Thank you, but Markus did more than me. Anyway, I should be going. Goodbye." I said and they said goodbye to me as well. I went up the stairs and headed down to the second lounge room. Just like Josh had said, everyone was there. They hung out here a lot because the room was the perfect size for their group. I walked in and Neera jumped up with a huge smile on her face.

"CONNOR! YOU'RE HERE!" I did my best to keep my footing as she nearly tackled me with a hug. Ryker laughed.

"Don't kill him, babe." She pulled away, blushing embarrassedly now.

"Oh, sorry. Heh." She said to me. I smiled at her.

"It's fine, Neera. I'm not harmed, after all." I replied and she nodded with a thankful smile. I turned to everyone else who all seemed pleased to see me as well.

"It's been a while since we all got to see you, ey, Connor?" Joey asked with a smile.

"Yeah! We missed you!" Cynthia agreed.

"I'm sorry, but I haven't had much of a chance to get away lately. Things have been hectic." I explained.

"We know. We're not mad or anything, dude. We just want to have our friend around. Besides, things really have been crazy lately." Blake agreed. I sat down and sighed.

"I don't understand why we can't get anything from what we've got. We have one of them, but we hardly have any other information. All we're getting are dead ends." I explained.

"It's never easy with these things. Sometimes, you just gotta get lucky." Nate added. I nodded.

"Maybe you could try looking at it from a different angle?" Cass asked.

"I don't think there are many other ways to look at it-" I cut off. A different angle... It suddenly clicked with me. 

"What? What is it?" Star asked. I looked up at them.

"The locations..."

"The what?" Ryker asked.

"The locations! They've all been in certain places! They've been getting closer to here recently, but there must be a pattern! If we can mark where the attacks took place, we might be able to locate a potential base!" I said, standing up, adrenaline flowing through my body. They all looked at each other, smiling happily.

"Connor, you're a genius!" Cynthia said happily. I blushed.

"No, I just-" Suddenly, there was a loud bang downstairs. I heard screaming. I felt my blood run cold as I figured out what the booming sounds were. "Oh no..." I breathed.

"WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR!? MOVE IT!" Ryker shouted, snatching something out of the closet. It was a gun. He gave one to each of us. We rushed out, but I hesitated. Cass noticed that I wasn't following.

"Connor! Come on!" I remembered the rooftop. Tears came back as I started to shake.

"I-I can't..." Cass grabbed my arm.

"Connor, fight it! You're braver than this! What would (Y/n) do if she were here? She'd fight! Now, come on!" I looked at her and then my gun. I felt anger. These were the people who killed all of those androids. These were the people who took her from me. My LED went red and I nodded to her as we rushed out.

I saw that there was a group of people in black with all sorts of different high-powered weapons. They even had a shotgun! I knew we had to take him out. I aimed at him, but I heard a shriek. I looked down below us and I gasped. Martha was cornered. I changed targets and shot at the men surrounding her. They all got away, much to my own frustration, but Martha was fine, which was a relief. 

I spotted Markus. It was risky for him to be out here. He'd definitely be a target. North was with him, which made people a little less willing to go for him, but I knew that the shotgun could kill both of them with one blow. I rushed down and I hurried to help them, but suddenly I was kicked back. I yelped as I fell on my back. I sat up quickly and I stared at my attacker in shock. It was a girl and she had mixed matched colored eyes. I couldn't see the rest of her face because of the bandana she was wearing, but I could tell she was smirking at me.

"Finally, I found you again. You're hard to kill, aren't you, Detective?" I glared at her.

"You're the one that had it done. You took her away from me!" She laughed.

"You can join her." I felt my heart skip a beat, but then I heard a scream of rage and somebody charged the woman above me. I watched in shock as Cass tried to strangle her. She was kicked off and sent flying into the wall. I got up and I shot the man with the shotgun going after Markus and North. The woman gasped.

"Henry!" She exclaimed. She turned and glared at me with pure hatred in her eyes. "You will pay for that, you plastic piece of shit." She hissed. "RETREAT!" They all took off. I tried to catch her, but with the guns still on me, I didn't have a choice other than to let them flee. I hurried over to Cass.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"I-I'm fine. Just...a little stunned." She replied. I helped her u and we looked around. I felt my heart sink.

"No..." I could count 12 more androids either dead or damaged. I felt so guilty. "This is all my fault," I muttered.

"No, it isn't, Connor. They knew we were here. This would've happened either way. But if you weren't here, we might've lost. You saved us." She told me. 

"She's right. I owe you our lives, Connor." Markus said, coming up behind us with North.

"I thought he was going to get us," North admitted. I sighed.

"But it wasn't enough. They got away again." I said, still beating myself up. 

"We'll find them, Connor. I promise." Cass said. I turned to her. I had lost faith in winning this.

"Why do you make promises you can't keep?" I asked. She looked shocked. I walked away from her to find somewhere private to call the department and notify them. As far as I was concerned, it didn't even matter. I couldn't do anything to prevent this. 

Cass' POV

He walked away and I stared after him. North and Markus looked worried too. I didn't know how else to help him. 

"He didn't mean it, Cass. He's just upset." Markus told me. I shook my head sadly.

"He's not upset. He's lost himself. He needs his other half back. He needs to know what love truly feels like. I just hope it isn't too late."