Chapter 94

Third Person POV

Everything had thankfully calmed down ever since the rescue. There had been no news of finding anything to help locate the criminals, but there had also been no more attacks and no more kidnappings. 

Everyone was mainly at Kamski's now, staying there while Collin was repaired. Gavin had gone and brought the cats so they wouldn't be home alone. You and Connor had asked Neera to watch your animals while you were away. Hank had gone and gotten Sumo so he wouldn't be alone either. Luckily, Sumo and the cats got along well. Sumo wasn't a very aggressive dog anyway.

(Y/n) had been acting a bit more human-like, but she was still not the same. She spent more time thinking and just laying in the bedroom alone. Connor was worried about her, but there wasn't much else he could do for her. 

Gavin spent most of his time watching Collin, waiting for him to wake up. At least, he did this most of the time when nobody else was around. The other times he spent with the cats, playing with them lazily, feeding them, petting them, and even just talking to them. All of this was done in his room though, so nobody else could see it. 

Nobody saw Gavin all that much over the 5 days that they had spent there. He mostly came out at night when everybody was in bed or spending time by themselves in places other than where he was. Still, it didn't prevent him from avoiding everybody. Kamski was often up late and well as Cass and Nate. Hank sometimes could be found in the kitchen having a late night drink, something else he had brought from his house. Chloe sometimes asked if any of them ever needed anything, but most of the time they just told her no. Kamski was the one that always had her with him. So much so that some of them had become suspicious of the relationship they had with each other. Of course, with Elijah's mannerisms, it was hard to say for sure.

One time, Gavin had gone to the kitchen in the middle of the night to get something to eat. He hadn't had anything all day. When he got there, he grabbed a snack to eat before heading back to his room. On his way back, he spotted somebody out on the balcony. He could recognize her from her hair alone. Gavin walked over to (Y/n) and stood next to her.

"Hey." She was startled by his voice s her eyes opened and she quickly turned to him. "Whoa, calm down. It's just me." She sighed.

"Sorry. I was distracted."

"Doing what?"

"I was...processing."

"Why isn't Connor here with you?" Gavin asked.

"I...snuck away. I wanted some time." He was confused by this.

"But...you've been around him more often now." 

"I know. Sadly...it isn't changing anything for me." 

"What do you mean?" She sighed.

"I remember everything that happened, but...I just...I don't feel the connections. I have a few because of my siblings now, but I have no connection to what I felt with Connor. I think it's there...but I can't grasp it." Gavin knew that she was conflicted, but he had no idea what she was going through. He didn't know what he could do to fix it. Gavin wanted the real (Y/n) as back as much as everybody else, but nobody could change it. It seemed nothing was really working.

"Well, if you can reconnect with your family, I guess it's not impossible," Gavin replied.

"Are you implying for me to have hope that this will be fixed?" She asked. Gavin thought about it.

"Yeah...I guess so?" (Y/n) sighed again as she thought about Gavin's advice.

"I hope that things will return to normal, for all of us." Gavin thought about it and nodded. 

"Yeah...me too."

Your POV

Gavin left soon after talking to you and you saw him go to watch Collin. You could tell that something was going on between the two, but you weren't entirely sure what it was yet. You turned back to the view. The wind blew softly against your face and through your hair. You took in a deep breath through your nose and let it out slowly the same way. You closed your eyes again, listening to the soft sounds of the water splashing against the shore. 

As you stood there, you longed to feel your body relax like it would have when you were human. You opened your eyes and lifted your arm. You stared at it for a long time before finally removing the skin on it. You then stared at your robotic arm. You felt something stirring inside you. It wasn't a pleasant feeling. It made you want to collapse and curl into a ball. It made you want to scream and sob and shout until it went away, but you made no sound. 

"What am I?" You breathed out softly. You hadn't even realized that you had started to cry. The tears silently rolled down your face before falling to the ground. Suddenly, you felt arms wrap gently around your slim frame. You tensed at first, but then you relaxed, the touch soothing you somehow.

"I hope I'm not invading." He said gently. The skin on your arm came back and you let it fall back to your side again. You said nothing, not even knowing what to say to him. You had no idea what you were feeling and that only made it worse.

"C-Connor..." You could only whimper his name, at a loss for what to do or say and how to act.

"Shh..." He hushed you, gently turning you around and pulling you into a hug.

"Why can't I understand this? Why can't I understand what I'm feeling? Why can't I be me again?" You asked.

"I...I don't know, but I've told you this before. You're going to be alright. I promise."

"But...I...I can't-"

"Yes, you can. You will be able to feel again. You will go back to normal. It'll just take time. I'm sure of it. You trust me, don't you?" He asked. You looked into his eyes. There was something so familiar about looking at him like this. There was something so familiar about being with him like this. Why can't I remember? You wondered.

"I..." Why can't they come back? He began to lean in again. Why can't I feel what he's feeling? "I will always trust you." You admitted. He smiled softly.

"Good." Connor kissed you for a short moment and you attempted to kiss back, but...even though it seemed right...it still felt so wrong. You had to pull away. He looked at you, concerned at first, but his eyes were filled with understanding. You felt guilty.

"I...I'm sorry. I-I...I can't do that when I'm like this. But I don't want to hurt you." He chuckled.

"(Y/n), there is nothing you could do that could change the way I look at you. It's perfectly fine. I understand." You latched onto him.

"I'm so sorry." He hugged back.

"You don't have to be. You never have to be sorry to me, (Y/n). Not for this." You held him a bit tighter.

*Software Instability ^*

"I-I know."