Chapter 13

As the two of you sat in the car together, you said nothing. You felt a little awkward just sitting there. You could tell Connor wasn't exactly pleased with it either. The yellow LED gave it away. He might've been good at keeping a stone face in front of others, but you and Hank seemed to be the two exceptions. You were especially an exception.

"May I ask you something, Lieutenant- um, (Y/n)?" Connor said, remembering how you'd asked him to call you by your name instead. You nodded.

"Wouldn't your cats want to hurt your other pets?" 

"No. They're very well behaved. Besides, if it weren't for the size difference, Resinilly wouldn't be able to tell they were a different species. Not easily, anyway."

"Why not?" Connor asked. You looked at him.

"Connor....she's blind." You explained.

"Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't realize." He replied. 

"It's fine. Nobody does. She can make her way around flawlessly, so nobody ever thinks anything of her except an ordinary cat. That's why Jackson is always around her though. Especially in these times now." You said.

"Why is he more protective of her now?" Connor asked.

"Resinilly has some medical issues. There are her eyes, of course, but her birth mother neglected her because she was blind. I took her in and cared for her, but it turned out she also had some other issues. She's perfectly fine, but...it's kinda a weird thing to talk about." You said.

"I will not judge. If you're uncomfortable then you don't have to tell me, but I can't exactly have a negative reaction to it." Connor said. You sighed.

"She has mating issues." You said finally. Connor looked a little surprised.

"Oh." You both stayed silent for a moment. 

"Jackson is her mate, but they can't have kittens. At least, we don't think so, but they still have their seasons, so I don't exactly stop them from trying. I told you it was a weird topic." You explained.

"I apologize if I made you uncomfortable," Connor said.

"It's fine. I'm just glad we're talking about a cat." You said with a chuckle. Connor smiled a little, seemingly relieved you weren't upset.

"I would like to see her have kittens. I'm sure they'd be very special." He said. You looked over at him, a little surprised. You smiled a little as you looked away again.

"Yeah...me too."

Soon enough you arrived at his house. The doors opened. "You have reached your destination. Thank you for traveling with Detroit Taxis. We look forward to seeing you again soon." The automated voice said. Connor stepped out and held out his hand for you. You hesitated for a moment, but you took it and he helped you out.

You both walked up to Hank's door. Connor knocked on the door as you stood next to him. You knew Hank was home thanks to his car being parked in front of the garage. 

"Lieutenant Anderson?" Connor asked. Nothing. He rang the loud, and rather annoying, doorbell. "Anybody home?" He called. You were confused.

"That's strange. His car is here." You said. "Come on, let's see if we can find another way inside." You said. You walked around and looked in through the windows. You saw Hank passed out on the floor. You were shocked.

"Hank!?" You exclaimed. "We gotta get in there." You said.

"Stand back," Connor said. You did as told. He broke the window and rolled inside. You climbed in after him. Sumo came over. You chuckled at Connor's nervousness. It was adorable. He never knows what to do around animals.

"E-easy...Sumo." Connor stuttered. "I'm your friend, see? I know your name. I'm here to save your owner." Connor said. Sumo looked at him and walked toward his food bowl. He ate as you helped Connor stand up.

"We should help the Lieutenant," Connor said. You nodded.

"Right." You agreed. You both walked over to him. "How is he?" Connor scanned over everything.

"He'll be alright. We have to wake him up though." Connor replied.

"Hank?" You said, shaking him a little. Connor tapped him on the face a little.

"Wake up Lieutenant!" He said. You looked at Connor and shrugged. He slapped him and you snorted trying not to laugh at what Connor just did.

"It's me Connor! (Y/n) and I are here to help." He said. "We have to sober him up for his own safety. It may be unpleasant." Connor said as you both helped him up.

"Hey! Leave me alone you two!" He said, clearly still drunk.

"Sorry Hank, not this time." You said. You both helped him to the bathroom.

"Sumo! Attack!" Hank said. You rolled your eyes as the dog only barked. "Good dog." Hank said. Yep. He's out of it. You thought.

"Well, I certainly wasn't expecting the night to go like this." You said.

"I have to admit, neither was I." Connor replied. Connor held Hank up as you opened the door to the bathroom. You both helped him in and set him down on the edge of the tub.

"I don't need a bath, thank you." He said, trying to stand up.

"Sorry Lieutenant." Connor said, and pushed him back in. "It's for your own good." You turned on the water.

"AAAHHH! TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!" He yelled. You did and he took a few breaths to calm down. He looked up at both of you. "What the fuck are you two doing here?" He asked.

"A homicide was reported 43 minutes ago. (Y/n) said you would be here." Connor explained. You were glad he didn't mention anything about what happened at your house.

"Jesus, I must be the only cop in the world that gets assaulted in his own house by his own fuckin' android and partner."

"Android, maybe. Partner, that is not true. Both, who knows?" You said.

"Can't you just leave us alone?" Hank asked.

"Unfortunately, I cannot. I've been programmed to investigate this case and I can't do it without the two of you." Connor said.

"I don't give a shit about your god damn case!" Hank said.

"Lieutenant, you're not yourself. You should-"

"Beat it, you hear me!? Get the hell outta here!" Hank yelled, but he stumbled a little Connor caught him and helped him sit back down. You both had the same idea. You nodded to him.

"I understand. It probably wasn't interesting anyway. A man found dead in a sex club downtown. Guess they'll have to solve the case without us." Connor said.

"Yeah. Such a shame." You added with a smirk. You had wanted to stay home too, but you weren't gonna pass up the chance to tease Hank like this.

"You know, it probably wouldn't do me any harm to get some air. There are some clothes in the bedroom there." Hank said.

"I'll go get them," Connor said.

"Well, I'll go hang out, then."

"Don't touch my drinks!"

"You're no fun." You said with a smirk as you left. You pet Sumo as you waited for Hank. You could hear vomiting, but you didn't say anything. Connor came back out moment later. He looked around and...he found the picture of Cole. He looked at you, but you looked away. Connor seemed to understand that he shouldn't ask.

Soon enough Hank came back out. You smiled. You got up Sumo stood up too, padding toward his owner. His grumpy bumbling owner. You chuckled to yourself.

"Be a good dog, Sumo," Hank said. 

"Let's go." You said. Connor and Hank nodded. You all headed out together. You hoped you'd be able to do this right this time.