Chapter 23

Connor's POV

I smiled as she relaxed. I had this warm sensation inside of me. I didn't know what it was, but...I kinda...liked it. I began to leave, but she spoke up.

"Connor?" I paused and turned.

"Yes?"

"U-um...c-could you...maybe...go get my cats? They usually stay in their bed, but...I kind of want them in here. With me, you know?" I nodded.

"Of course. I'll be right back." I told her and went to get them. I gently woke them up and I picked both of them up afterward. "(Y/n) wants you both to stay with her." They both meowed happily and gladly rested in my arms as I took them to her room. I set them down on her bed and they happily padded up to her, nuzzling her body, face, and hands. She chuckled lightly at their affectionate behavior. 

"Okay, okay. I love you both too." She told them. She looked at me. "Thanks." I nodded again with a soft smile.

"If you need me, I'll be out in the living room," I told her. I began to leave. "Sleep well, (Y/n)." With that, I let her be, knowing she would soon go to sleep. 

(Y/n) Status: Neutral

At least she wasn't upset with me anymore. She had been distant before, but I was getting her to open up. I was at least glad about that. I decided I would do something nice for her. Since everything had been hectic lately, her house was starting to get messy again. I did my best to clean up for her. As I was cleaning, I was putting away some things that belonged in drawers. As I was looking for the correct drawer for some scissors I'd found, I came across a photo that was face down in a supply drawer.

I set down the scissors and I picked up the photo. I turned it over and I saw something surprising and...confusing. It was (Y/n) with a man. I scanned the picture to find out who it was. 

ID: Shane R. Jules 

Born: 4/01/2010 // No criminal record // Runs his own business 

I was confused. Who was this man? (Y/n) and this 'Shane' looked very...happy together in the picture. I had never seen her smile like that in real life and he looked happy too. I wanted to find out more about this man. 

I would have to do it some other time. I put the scissors away and put the picture back. I kept picking things up and once I was finished I wondered if there was anything else I could do to help her out.

I knew she hadn't gone shopping for food in a while. I looked to see what she had. I had picked up on some of the things she liked. I ordered them for her and I knew they would come before morning. I decided to run over what I had learned about deviants in the meantime. A lot had happened in a few days, even I had to admit that. 

I tried to run over my information, but I kept thinking of just...everything that had happened. I kept thinking of (Y/n) and all that had happened between us. It wasn't easy to get her to open up to me, but I felt I was beginning to get through to her. Hank was warming up to me. That was good. I was glad that I had him closer to me, at least. I paused. Wait...why do I want that? Stop it, Connor. This has nothing to do with what you're supposed to be doing. You have to stay focused. You need to stop the deviants. THAT'S what's important. Nothing else. I reminded myself. But...there was something nagging at me. Another little voice in my head that wouldn't stop reminding me of one other thing. They're important because I care. But...I can't! I'm a machine. It's impossible for me to care about or want anything. I'm simply helping an assigned officer so that she is in good mental health to handle the case. That's all. Completely logical and normal. 

I tried to convince myself that it was normal and it wasn't a bug, but there was still that voice. I couldn't get rid of it. I began to wonder if it was right. I had protected (Y/n) before. That was because it was easier than trying to shoot around her. Plus it wouldn't have been good if she had died. That much is still true.

While I was thinking, I heard a knock at the door. I went to get it. It was a shopping service android. He had the food I'd gotten. I paid him and took the groceries to put them away. After that, he left. 

I put all of the food away and I threw away the plastic bags. After that, I knew I had nothing else to do. I suddenly thought of something. I went down the hall to (Y/n)'s room. I carefully opened the door and I saw her sleeping on her side peacefully. She looked a little cold though. I could see her shaking slightly. I went and grabbed an extra blanket. I covered her up gently and she let out a light groan. The sound made me blush a little. My face heated up but...my lips tugged into a smile. It was...cute. I began to want to stay there with her. She looked so calm and so peaceful. It was so much different than when she was awake. I knew she wouldn't like me watching her, but...I could only stare.

I scanned her. Her temperature was normal now. She had stopped shivering. She was fine. I could leave. I turned to leave, but...something was pulling me back. I sighed. I looked over my shoulder at her. The cats were sleeping on the other side of the bed, but they were still close to her. I turned back. I gave the cats a few goodnight pets and then I looked at (Y/n) again. 

"Goodnight, (Y/n). I hope you sleep well this time. I'll be here if you need me." I told her softly, even though she couldn't hear me. I swear I saw her relax as I spoke though. I turned and left the room. I closed the door softly. I went and sat down on the couch. It was then, I frowned. What am I doing to myself?