Chapter 39

Gavin's POV

*Meanwhile*

(Y/n) fell asleep in my lap. I smiled a little at her. She really was a good person. I still remembered how she used to be. I stopped myself as I realized I was staring at her. I shook it off and turned on the TV so I could watch my own stuff. 

It only took me a few minutes to begin to wonder...what was going on? I sighed. With one final look at the remote, I switched on the news. It came on and I was instantly attacked with information about what the androids were doing.

"We're coming to you live from Detroit where thousands of androids are marching through the city at this very moment. The leader of the deviants, the one they call Markus, is at the head of the march." The camera turned toward the deviants on the ground so the viewers could see what was going on as well. From the glimpse I got, that didn't look like thousands. It looked like...20? Maybe 30? I knew that it wasn't the full-scale shot, but that seemed like about it.

Once a copter got a better angle I saw that there was more than that, but it still didn't look like thousands. Are there even that many deviants left outside of the camps? I wondered. 

I felt (Y/n) shift. I looked down at her. I frowned. She needed a proper place to rest. Somewhere that there wouldn't be anything to disturb her. I gently and carefully moved her before picking her up. She shifted with a groan. I hushed her, knowing her wound was probably aggravated now. 

"Hey, it's okay," I told her, even if she might not have been able to hear me. It seemed like those few words did the trick though. I took her to my room and I laid her down. I covered her up, making sure she was warm and I made sure that she wasn't laying on her bad side. After I knew she was comfortable, warm, and relaxed, I left, closing the door behind me. 

As I began to walk over to the couch, I tripped on something. I heard an angry meow as I steadied myself quickly, catching the doorknob to the bathroom to stop myself from falling face first on the floor. I looked down and I saw Cheezy, my spoiled orange tabby cat. "Are you trying to kill me, you spoiled cat!?" I snapped. I made sure I wasn't too loud since I was still in the hallway and close to my room. I didn't want to wake (Y/n) up. He meowed at me and I sighed. "Come on, Cheezy." 

We went over to the couch and I sat down, covering up with a blanket. He hopped up on my lap and curled up against my chest. I sighed again, rolling my eyes at the cat. "You really are spoiled, you know that?" He looked at me, his green eyes boring into me as if saying 'you're the one who gives into everything'. I chuckled a little. "Okay, okay. Stop with the look. I get it." He headbutted my hand, wanting me to keep petting him. I did as I continued watching the news. 

Markus was leading them straight toward the camp. Is he insane? He's gonna get all of them shot and killed! The soldiers there had indeed started firing, but they just kept walking. Markus suddenly sat down in the middle of the street. The other androids followed suit. After that, nothing happened. 

Markus stood back up and it appeared he was talking to some other androids. I didn't get to see anything after that since the news guy started talking again.

"Yes, Michel, we are less than 100 meters away, and events are unfolding as we speak. We will continue to bring you live updates. Joss Douglas, Channel 16. Michel? Back to you." I tuned out after that. I wondered why Markus would take such a risky move. They were still in danger of being wiped out. Why wouldn't he wait? Hide, get more people again, and then make a move. That seemed like the better option. I suddenly heard footsteps. I looked over and saw (Y/n) was up again. I picked up Cheezy and set him down beside me on the couch.

"(Y/n), what are you doing up? Come on, you gotta get some sleep." I told her.

"I-I can't." I paused, confused and concerned for her.

"Why?"

"I...I can't sleep. I can't relax knowing they're all out there. What if he gets killed, Gav?" She asked. The fear and worry was evident in her eyes. I sighed.

"(Y/n), I didn't see Connor marching with the others. He'd be up front with Markus if he was. I don't think Connor was even apart of the attack." I told her.

"No. He found Jericho. I know he did." 

"Then where would he be now?" She thought about it.

"If he hadn't survived the attack, he'd be at the bottom of the river with the rest of Jericho." 

"But you still think he made it out?" I asked.

"Connor doesn't go down easy." 

"So if he's still alive, but not with the others, where could he possibly be?" I asked. She thought about it. After a minute her eyes widened.

"Oh no..." 

"What? What is it?" I didn't like the look on her face.

"He's going back to Cyberlife." 

"What!? Why would he do that!?" 

"No! He's not betraying Markus! He's trying to save them!"  

"You've seriously lost me, (Y/n)," I told her.

"Cyberlife has to have androids in it, right?" 

"Yeah, so?"

"If Connor can get to them, he can provide Markus with what he needs! More androids! Even if they are being peaceful, they're too easy to pick off with only about a hundred of them alive. Who knows how many are still alive now."

"So you're saying Connor is basically doing a mission impossible and trying to infiltrate Cyberlife so he can get more androids?"

"Yeah, pretty much." She replied.

"I swear you're crazy," I said.

"Gavin, remember how I said that an RK800 came to my house?"

"Yes. That's obviously true since you got shot." 

"Why would it come to my house and not go after Connor?" I thought about it. I realized she was right.

"To get something to bargain with."

"Connor wouldn't be willing to risk my life for the cause. I know he wouldn't." (Y/n) explained. 

"But it doesn't have you. Game over, right?" She thought about it. 

"No. Connor models don't give up. It would find something else to replace me." 

"Like what?" I asked. She thought about it again. 

"HANK!!" She yelled suddenly. "It's got Hank! Shit! I have to go after them!" I grabbed her arm.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're not going anywhere! That prick shot you once and I'm not giving him the chance to do it again! You'll get yourself killed!" I told her.

"But-"

"(Y/n), if Connor's as crazy as you're implying then he's gotta have a strong backbone. He's smart like you said. He can take care of himself."

"But what about Hank? What if he can't both save Hank and help the others?" She asked. I sighed.

"I'm sorry, but...there's nothing either of us can do. We'd get there too late anyway. The nearest Cyberlife is too far away from my place to get there on time to do anything. We just have to hope they'll be okay." She latched onto me.

"Gav...I'm scared." I hugged her.

"They'll be alright. I can feel it. Hank doesn't go down to easy either. Stubborn, grumpy grandpa he is, I'm sure he can handle it." She chuckled a little at the name I called him. Still, it only lifted her spirits for a moment. I sighed. I picked her up and took her back to my room. I laid her down and I climbed into bed next to her. "If I stay, promise me you'll try to go to sleep." She looked at me for a moment before getting closer to me and closer her eyes.

"Thank you, Gavin. For being here." I chuckled, holding her to comfort her.

"Well, somebody's gotta watch you when those weirdos aren't around." She began to relax and fall asleep. "Night, (Y/n). I'll be here all night long." I told her as she finally drifted off. "I promise."