Chapter 55

You and Connor watched movies for a while until it started getting dark out. You grinned as you saw the sun setting and the stars coming out through your window. You got up and stretched before turning to Connor.

"Hey, I had an idea of something fun we could do tonight." You said. He stood up.

"Really? You want to do something fun with me?" He asked. You smiled.

"Connor, as much as I wasn't sure about letting you stay at first, I'm glad I did. You're a good friend and you've been helping me a lot. Thank you for that." You said. He smiled happily.

"I said I would be here for you and I meant it." He replied. "So, what was your idea?" He asked.

"Well, I have taken the Sugar Gliders outside in a while. They know not to run away from us. We're safer than anything else out there. But anyway, I wanted to take them outside so they could get some fresh air and be in a bigger and better open space for a bit. The last time I did this was before the babies were born, so I was wondering if you wanted to come with and help me keep an eye and a handle on them." You explained.

"I would love to." He replied. You both went to get your Sugar Gliders and you took the babies while Connor took the adults. It wasn't that you didn't trust them, it was just the fact that you knew them better and would most likely be better at handling the babies who were still fairly small and fragile. They were growing up at the proper speed and getting stronger, but for now, you both could agree that it was best to leave them to the one that knew more about them out of the two of you.

You brought their little pouch for when or if they got cold or wanted to rest. You also had treats and water for them if they needed it. You and Connor were ready to go with the Sugar Gliders and you both left and went for a walk. You didn't need flashlights since the streetlights were light enough along with the brightness of the full moon in the dark night sky overhead. It was a very clear and beautiful night. Guess I picked the right night. You thought to yourself.

As the two of you walked, you got an idea. You turned to Connor. He noticed the grin on your face and instantly became curious.

"Is there something you wish to tell me, (Y/n)?" He asked.

"I have an idea." You told him. "You stay here." You said and walked a few feet ahead of him. You gave a little, grabbing Snow and Mel's attention. The two of them were perched on Connor's shoulders. "Come on you two! Come here!" You called. Without a second thought, they both jumped and glided over to you. They landed and climbed onto your shoulders. Connor smiled and came over to you.

"That's very impressive." He commented.

"You wanna try?" You asked. He nodded. You stay and Connor walked ahead. He turned.

"Um, what do I say?" He asked.

"Just call them or call their names." You replied. He nodded.

"Snow, Mel, Come!" He called. They jumped and, landing on his shoulders after their second short glide. You smiled.

"Let's try it with the babies." You said.

"Aren't they too small?" He asked.

"No, they have to start learning soon. They should be strong enough to start now. We just have to give them a shorter distance." You explained. Connor nodded and walked closer and Mel tried to climb up on his head. Connor chuckled and pushed him gently with his finger to tell him not to climb up there. "Ready, Connor?" You asked. He nodded. You held Almond in your had.

"Almond! Come here!" Connor called to her. She hesitated, clearly nervous.

"It's okay. Just jump!" You told her. She looked at Connor again and launched herself toward him. She was a little wobbly, but Connor caught her in his hands and she shook off the little tumble. Her mother came to get her and help her get up onto Connor's shoulder. Next, you took out Pipper. He seemed excited. You chuckled. "He's ready for sure!" You laughed. 

"Pipper!" Connor called. He didn't take a second to think as he launched himself toward Connor. Connor had to step back because he went further than Almond had. Pipper landed successfully and climbed up onto Connor's other shoulder to join his father. 

You pulled Flurry out of the pouch last. She seemed even more nervous than Almond. You stroked her gently. 

"It's alright. You'll do fine." You told her. She looked at Connor and he held out his hands for her to land in. Flurry jumped and she actually flew the straightest! She didn't go as far as Pipper, but she glided very well. 

After that, you kept walking and gave all three of them treats as positive reinforcement. You gave them water and then you let them go into their pouch to rest. You and Connor kept walking along the sidewalk though, enjoying the crystal clear night. 

Suddenly, you felt Connor grab your hand. You stiffened, not sure if you wanted to allow him to do this, but you eventually succumbed to your own desire and let him hold your hand. His hand felt warm in your own and you couldn't keep the hint of blush from spreading over your face. You both walked for a long time and the Sugar Glider family fell asleep in the pouch as you did. 

Soon you both decided to take a short moment to rest on a bench. You both sat there together and looked at the stars. You realized that this was feeling more and more like a midnight date by the second. You were about to suggest that you both head back, but Connor spoke up first.

"(Y/n)?"

"Uh, y-yeah, Connor?" You asked.

"Do you enjoy being with me?" He asked. You were surprised by this. What do I say? 

"W-well, I, um, i-it's not like I hate it or anything." You said.

"But do you...enjoy it? Do you like when we spend time together?" He asked, looking at the ground. He looked so unsure and slightly discouraged. You felt bad, but you didn't know what to say to him. You still weren't very comfortable with being too close to anybody. Gavin and Hank were the only two acceptions you had made, but now...everything was just tossed up in the air again. You had no idea what to do about it. "(Y/n)?" Connor asked again. Shoot. Must've zoned out.

"You're a good friend, Connor. I wouldn't have let you stay if I didn't want you around." You replied.

"So...you are still wary of me." He said. You looked at him. He looked sad now and you didn't want him to feel so bad.

"No, no. I...I'm not wary of you, I just...I..." You tried to think of something to say.

"It's alright. I understand. None of this must be easy for you." Connor said. You sighed.

"Connor, I'm sorry. I know it seems like I don't always like it, but you really have become such a great friend. I'm not lying when I say that. You can even tell when I lie." You said. He thought about it. "I-I just...I don't know what to do from here is all." You explained. He looked at you for a moment.

"Your eyes sparkle in the moonlight, you know." You blushed, but luckily the dark of the night covered it.

"C-Connor....I-I...I..." He leaned in closer to you and you felt so tempted to lean in. You wanted to let him in, but there as that voice. That haunting demented voice yelling at you with its' harsh taunts and gruesome mockery. "It's never gonna last! He'll leave you just like everyone else! Do you honestly think you two can date each other? Ha! Not in a million years, idiot! You aren't even the same SPECIES!! Just you wait, he'll find some beautiful android girl who can never ever grow old and who'll always be beautiful. He'll take her in and run away too. Just you wait~" It hissed in your ears and you couldn't take it. The fear consumed you and you quickly pulled back. Connor pulled back too, surprised by this. You looked away from him and stood up taking a shaky breath.

"(Y/n)?" He asked. You turned and began to head home. 

"Come on. W-we...we need to go home." You said and kept walking. Connor didn't follow for a moment, but you heard him catch up to you. He was walking behind you in your wake soon enough. The two of you walked home without another word.