Pt. 28

Y/n POV:
My feet walk on the grey sidewalk one in front of the other. I look up at the entrance to the lobby of the hospital and see a lady. She pretty rude honestly, but after a bitter, and brief conversation with her, she point me in the direction of the ICU where I can find Aaliyah. My mind seems to wonder: how did I actually find her? It's insane to think she's here...in Toronto of all places! Skye is...an interesting character. She always has been. She's...25 or 26 now. Based on the age difference between us as kids. She was the older sister I never had. Growing up in a family of all guys, cousins an all, it kinda sucked. Maya and Skye were the family I never had. My brother, well, he's technically my half brother Chris, is the only family member who I actually keep up with anymore. Chris is 23. He's been the most 'active' brother in my life actually. By that I mean, he's been the one who's been there since the beginning, and always put me first over everyone. Heck he practically raised me before I moved to New York. Mama was never around growing up. She was into some stuff that...wasn't good. Including the guys she was into. South Carolina, is a place I will forever remember, but never go back to. I can't. Chris was different from me though. We both got made fun of more than usual because, Chris is mixed. No one understood how we were related when, we didn't look the same. Why shouldn't it matter? Exactly. It shouldn't. Chris got into some trouble a few years ago. Got himself locked up. He got into some stuff with a group of guys that...was his fault actually. He was trying to protect me though. With mama moving around with different guys, we went from the hood, the city, the country, and the preppy part of town. But mostly it was the hood. That's why I'm so comfortable with myself. I remember being little and dealing with it all. But, I also remember the sweet smell of the country grass. Chris said he'd come visit me soon. I got out two years ago. I saw him a bit, but not too much since...well. College. But anyway. One thing South Carolina will always remind me off is Maya. I need Skye to meet Ross. That really needs to happen. Wow. I want to see her face light up. It's scary how similar they are. It's like another Maya, just in guy form. My thoughts are interrupted by the ding of the elevator. Which means I've arrived at the ICU. Before even turning the corner I hear Shawn. My eyes meet his puffy read eyes. I rush over and hold him in my arms. In that moment I think I'm never gonna let go. He sobs into my chest as he tries to speak "h-he...he was drinking Y/n. He almost killed my sister the same way I killed her." He says looking me in the eyes. In that moment, I don't even have words for the pain I see in his eyes. I close my eyes briefly before I feel someone else's presence. I look up to see the sweet face of a middle aged woman. She's smiling down at both of us. Before I can ask who she is, Shawn speaks. "Mom...this is Y/n." He says while wiping his eyes with his tattooed hand. She reaches down and engulfs me in the biggest hug I've ever felt. She squeezes me and I don't think she's ever gonna let go. "Thank you..." she utters breathlessly. "Thank you so much for everything. I didn't think this would be how we meet, but I'm Karen. Shawn's mom." She says sweetly. "Well...I'm y/n." I say sincerely. She introduces me to Shawns dad, Manny, and takes me over to see Aaliyah before she goes into surgery. "So my brother finally got a girl eh? Well. I approve. I like you. You're...different." She says her voice muffled by the oxygen mask. I laugh a bit and squeeze her hand. The doctors come in to lead her into surgery and they lead us to a waiting room. Shawn sits down beside me as I cradle his head. The next 2 hours will be the most tedious hours ever.