8. Bakugou's Start Line

Ø~Shizuka~Ø

Ø~Shizuka~Ø

Mid April

"Your indoor combat training is over!"

Uraraka slides down the weapon, about to vomit, and Iida immediately goes to console her. All Might continues, "The Hero Team..."

"...WINS!"

The class gasps. That was one hell of a ride. I close my eyes, and stretch my arms above my head.

"What a weird way for this to end," Pikachu states, "The losers are practically untouched, and the winners are both on the ground..."

"How does the old saying go?" The bird dude says, "'They may have lost the battle, but they won the war'."

"This class is intense," frog girl remarks. I nod in agreement. All Might goes to the building with a stretcher for Midoriya, while Bakugou is still standing there in shock. Then, he contracts his fist, and starts hyperventilating. Calm down, dude.

All Might puts his hand on Bakugou's shoulder and leeds everyone back to the monitoring room. Whether you win or lose, you can always take something from an experience. I stand up straighter, prepared to hear the report on the team.

"Well, despite the results," All Might sighs, "The MVP of this exercise is young Iida!"

The class gasps, and Iida's jaw drops, "Huh?"

"Shouldn't it be one of the heroes instead since they're the winners?"

"Hmm, valid question. Why didn't I choose one of those two? Who has a guess?"

"Sir," Yaoyorozu raises her hand, "I can tell you why: Iida embraced the challenge. He was the only one who truly adapted to his assigned role. I'll explain: Bakugou's judgement was clouded by a personal grudge against Midoriya. As you pointed out earlier, launching a large scale attack indoors was a foolish move. It could've been disastrous. Similarly, Midoriya's plan was also poorly thought out, considering the amount of damage he received: he rendered himself helpless. Not smart. As for Uraraka, she let her guard down mid-battle, and her final attack was far too reckless given the hypothetical stakes. If she'd treated the fake weapon as though it were real, she never would've risked using such an imprecise move. Iida was fully prepared for his opponent's arrival. He had a strategy, and never lost sight of his mission to protect the dummy weapon. Even if he was foiled in the end..."

Iida places his hand over his heart, and gleams. Yaoyorozu continues, "Technically, the Hero Team won, yes, but they took advantage of the fact that this was training. They didn't respect the spirit of the trial."