17. Strategy, Strategy, Strategy

~Ø~

~Ø~

Early May

"42 of you qualified to move on to the next round. A Cavalry Battle! Those of you at the top will suffer the most! Of course, that's something you'll hear over and over again at UA. Show us what Plus Ultra means!" Midnight cracks her whip back and forth, "Izuku Midoriya placed first in the qualifiers, and his point value is worth 10 MILLION!"

Now you know the burden of being the best, Shizuka Murakami crosses her arms. What they say is true, it's hard being at the top...right, All Might?

"1st Years! These are the rules that you'll abide by! The game itself will last 15 minutes. Individual point values will be added together to reach your teams' total. Everyone will know how much you're worth due to your headbands. Swipe as many headbands as you can to raise your team's score. Stolen headbands must be worn from the neck up, so the more you steal, the harder for you to manage. And another thing, even if your headband gets stolen, or your teams fall down, you can keep playing until time's up!"

It's anyone's game, and there'll be about 10-12 teams playing on the field at all times. Murakami squints her eyes. Losing your headband at the beginning gives you more time to formulate a time, instead of defending yourself endlessly.

"This is going to be rough! You may use your quirks as much as you like! But, there are still rules. Make a team fall on purpose, and I'll slap you with a red card. You'll be disqualified!"

Immediately, a timer appears behind Midnight, "You have 15 minutes to build your teams!"

15 minutes? Does that mean I can get a small break? Murakami looks over the railing at Midoriya. It doesn't matter how many points his teammates have, since he's got so many. He needs to make sure he picks the right people, but everyone will be avoiding him like wildfire.

I'm thirsty. Murakami stands up, and plops the kitten in her hoodie, stuffing her hands in her pockets. She takes a glance at the live screens, and looks away quickly. The Sports Festival isn't really about seeing how prepared we are at being heroes. It's more about simulating the competition we face if we go pro. With the abundance of hero agencies in the country, if you want to keep food on the table, you'll have to be ready to step on others. That was the whole point of the first round. Even so, when you're battling each other for popularity, just as many cases call for teamwork...I'm not sure how I'd ever be able to do that.

Murakami sighs as she continues up the stairs. Even my quirk is made to sustain itself after minimal human contact. That's why I'd make a terrible hero. I'd just end up...