20. Victory or Defeat

Ø~Shizuka~Ø

Ø~Shizuka~Ø

Early May

"He's not moving a muscle!" Present Mic remarks, and the rest of the crowd looks on in shock, "And what's with that look on his face? Could this be a quirk at work?"

Oh hey, that rhymes, I look over at the indigo haired boy in interest, glazing over his disheveled hair, and tired eyes. I bring my hand to my chin, He has a rather athletic physique...could it be his quirk?

"Hitoshi Shinsou seems to have Izuku Midoriya completely stunned!" Present Mic continues, "It's possible Shinsou is crazy powerful! Who could've imagined this turn of events? That's the Festival for ye, AHaHa!"

I cringe at his strange laugh, and then change my direction of attention. This may be a perfect example of how the Entrance Exam isn't rational. Now that we're onto the individual matches, everyone's true potential will be revealed. Considering that...Shinsou must've failed the Hero Course, and also applied for General Studies as if he knew that would happen. His quirk must be incredibly strong, but the Entrance Exam consisted of fighting faux villains.

"So here we are," the boy in question says to the greenette, whose eyes are completely devoid of life, "You're lucky to have been so blessed, Izuku Midoriya."

I lean forward, and Shinsou tilts his head, "Now turn round and walk out-of-bounds like a good little hero."

Midoriya shifts his body, his mouth slightly open. I narrow my eyes.

"Eh?! What?! Midoriya's...obeying him!"

"Oh no, Deku, what are you doing?" Uraraka stands up.

"He can't walk out of the ring!" Iida waves his hands around, "He'll lose the match if he does!"

Yeah, that's the point. I catch Bakugou looking oddly concentrated and calm, and look back down at the arena. Such power...

"Hitoshi Shinsou! His quirk: Brainwashing! If an opponent answers his questions, it flips a switch in their minds, forcing them to do whatever he says! Not every question does it though, he only brainwashes when he wants to!" Present Mic rambles on with more information. Called it. But still...in the fitness test on the first day of school, Midoriya scored pretty low for someone who'd been accepted into the Hero Course...or been chosen as All Might's successor, even. Still, even in tests where he didn't use his quirk, he outperforms Shinsou. If they fought without powers, Midoriya would almost certainly win, but he'd have to overcome Shinsou's Brainwashing to do that.  

The greenette continues to mindlessly trudge towards the edge of the platform. I try to envision what it must feel like being under that quirk. Perhaps the victim is completely conscious, but their body moves on its own? I wonder...I sigh aloud. Oh well. Shinsou's quirk wouldn't have an effect on me, anyways, would it? I sweatdrop. Wait. Is that what he meant when...