23. Shouto Todoroki: Origin

~Ø~

~

Early May

"But honey, you still do wanna be a hero, don't you? Just remember...stay true to yourself."

I had forgotten..so much of what she had said in those days. The crowd cheers.

"It's the 1st match of the 2nd round! It's Midoriya!" Present Mic pumps his fist in the air.

Midoriya's eyes lower. He'll start with an ice attack.

"Versus! Shouto Todoroki!"

Todoroki squints his eyes. I can't allow him to use that power of his too much. He moves his foot behind him in a preparatory stance. Midoriya clutches his wrist.

 Midoriya clutches his wrist

"BEGIN!"

Now! Todoroki thinks, immediately sending a large wall of spiked ice straight for Midoriya. 

"Smash!" Midoriya flicks his finger towards the ice, breaking it in half, and sending a large gust of wind straight for Todoroki, who keeps himself in place with ice behind his back. Meanwhile, the crowd groans in annoyance, complaining about the cold breeze. Murakami's hand trembles, and she brings it up to her chin to stop it, ,but then, her knee starts to bounce. She sighs, realising her anxiety will not be put to rest until the match is over. If it ever is...

"Hmph," Todoroki covers his face with his arm, and the wind dissipates. Just as I expected. He stares at Midoriya's broken finger. He's prepared to injure himself to counter me.

"Woah!!! Midoriya managed to break Todoroki's insane opening move!"

Meanwhile, All Might, or rather, Toshinori Yagi sits in a seat above, in his weaker form, watching his apprentice. He had no way of knowing how powerful young Todoroki's attack was going to be, so he abandoned restraint, and fired off a shot at 100% percent! Toshinori clenches his fist on his knee. It's true that this was likely the only thing he could do against the ice barrage, however...