After Class

Levi confidently strolled into the classroom the next day, his head held high. He decided to pretend that yesterday never happened.

But, of course, as soon as he saw the students (who were all a lot taller than him), that confidence disappeared and turned to an irritable attitude almost immediately.

"Okay, attendance..." He mumbled, slouching, and he picked up a list of names.

He read through each one, the student's yelling "here!" in their obnoxious voices after each name.

"Eren Jaeger?" Levi said, trying not to smirk as he read off the name of his "secret boyfriend".

Haha, secret boyfriend. It sounds cool.

But, there was no reply.

"Jager?" Levi repeated, and looked at Eren's desk.

It was empty.

It felt like someone had dropped something heavy on Levi's chest and then took all of his organs.

He got really frustrated by it. It happened every time Eren wasn't there. He didn't understand why it happened, but it was... Worse than physical pain.

"Tch." Levi coughed in an attempt to hide his dissapointment. "Okay, Ymir..." he contiunued to read off the names, his voice even more empty of emotion than it had been prior to reading Eren's name.

Only Jean noticed.

Raising an eyebrow, Jean leaned back in his seat, folding his arms.

"What's going on..." He thought, smirking and raising his hand.

Levi's narrowed and empty eyes flicked over to Jean. "Yes?" He snapped, irritable.

"A little too disappointed? Got a secret someone?" He said smugly, trying to say it in a way the rest of the class wouldn't understand.

Levi stiffened, his eyes narrowing even more. "I'm sure...This can wait until after class."

"Of course." Jean replied slyly, sitting back in his seat.

An hour past, as Jean sat there, observing Levi as he lectured the class, his hands traveling across the whiteboard, writing things rapidly.

Occasionally, if Levi had to write on the top of the board, he would try so hard to reach, standing on his tippy toes, but even then he couldn't.

Every time he turned to Jean, Levi averted his eyes, stiffening and glaring.

Jean found that... Interesting.

Levi had tried his hardest to stay calm, but, in his mind, everything was a panicked mess.

"What if he finds out or what if he already knows what will I do oh my god I'm dead I'm dead I'm dead..." Levi thought, and he could barely focus on teaching the class.

By the time the bell rang, Levi was having a full on panic attack, sitting at his desk with a blank expression on his face as all the students filed out, except for Jean.

The final student left, and the door shut with a click, leaving Jean and Levi in complete silence, staring at eachother.

Levi gulped.

"What do you want?" Levi said, standing up slowly and leaning on the front of his desk.

"I just want to know what's up with you and Jaeger."

Levi stiffened, widening his cold grey eyes in fear, but he quickly caught himself, and tried to hide his terror. "What-"

"Come on, I can see it in your eyes every time you look at him. The way you protect him, it's cute. You're so grumpy, so angry, but I can see you relax every time you look at him. You love him."

"How dare you-" Levi narrowed his eyes, angry. If this kid found out, he was screwed.

"Don't deny it. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"What, so you're going to blackmail me?" Levi inquired, doubtful that Jean was telling the truth. "Look, there's nothing between us."

"I won't blackmail you. And, just so you know, I can see it on Eren's face too. He loves you. I've never seen him look so- happy and trusting. He's always been cold and depressing, nearly bursting into tears if I said a single thing to him. It got worse after his m- I mean, the accident."

Levi looked confused. "Accident?"

"Oh- I shouldn't be the one to tell you about that. But... He was depressed. Really depressed. He didn't talk to anyone. He didn't trust Armin or anyone else and he just about flunked every one of his classes. He randomly got so angry he would burst into tears and run home in the middle of class sometimes. Seriously though, he just- didn't talk. He hasn't smiled in almost a year."

Levi was utterly shocked by all this information. That night, at the bar... No wonder Eren looked so sad. That's why he drank so much... Levi couldn't even imagine how bad his situation had been. That would also explain why he freaked out that one time Levi touched him...

"And have you ever noticed the bite mark shaped scar on his hand?"

Levi nodded. He had seen it, but assumed it was a dog bite from a while ago or something and didn't pay any mind to it.
"Why are you telling me this?" Levi asked. He thought Jean was a total asshole.

"I'm telling you because you need to know this." Jean said solemnly. "Anyways, That was his method of dealing with things. He bit his hand as hard as he could and drank until he couldn't anymore. He almost drank himself to death one time, and ended up in the hospital. The next week, Armin went into his house and found a huge bottle of pills and some alcohol next to it. He freaked out, and thought Eren was dead. He called me and we searched the whole town until we found Eren sobbing on a park bench."

Levi felt tears stinging his eyes. He held them back to the best of his ability. He really didn't want to cry in front of a student. "Eren..." He muttered, his heart sinking. "Oh my god, I had no idea..."

Jean nodded sadly. "That's all I'll tell you. But, he got a little bit better when you arrived. Not that much better, but a little bit better. Yesterday though... I saw him going home looking rather distressed. I don't know why he's not at school, but I don't think he's okay. And it's not because he's sick." Jeans heart sunk with every word. Sure, he was a total asshole to Eren, but he was starting to really, really regret it.

Levi looked utterly terrified, and his heart was racing. "Oh my god... No..."

"He really needs you. He won't trust people. Nobody but you. Try and be there for him."

Levi was already grabbing his bag off his chair and running out of the classroom, leaving Jean standing there on his own in silence..

From the classroom, Jean heard Levi's car start as he sped off to Eren's house.

"Please..." Jean whispered to himself. "Please, Levi, if he gets hurt again..." He paused.

"We could lose him forever."