The Ring

"Eren..." Levi quietly whispered in his ear, lying beside him, wearing nothing but his boxers. He nudged Eren lightly, trying to wake him up. It had been two months since the party, and they hadn't left Eren's house in a while. Occasionally, Eren would text Armin or talk to him over the phone, and he seemed okay, but they hadn't seen eachother in person in almost two weeks. Levi and Eren hadn't brought it up in a while though. They had been so focused on eachother.

Levi could't help but grin as Eren's eyes slowly blinked open. Waking up to the person he loved every single day... Was just so amazing. Sometimes, he wanted to cry in joy, for no goddamn reason. But seeing Eren's face, his adorable, perfect face, as he woke up and stretched, every day, for a month straight... It was enough to make him cry. It really was.

Eren rolled over to face Levi, so their noses were gently touching. "Hey...Mornin..." He whispered back, in a groggy, coarse voice. But that voice was the most amazing thing to Levi. That voice... he wanted to be the only one to hear it early in the morning, right after he woke up.

He felt his heart rate speed up. Suddenly, it was like his whole body was overflowing with happiness. It was like he couldn't hold it back. "Eren... Will you marry me someday...?" He blurted, his whole face bright red. Levi placed his hand on the side of Eren's head, cupping his cheek.

Eren, who had just woken up, looked a bit taken aback. His eyes windened, and a reddish tint appeared on his cheeks."Why do you ask?"

"Because... because I want to wake up to you like this every day. I want to hold you in my arms, every single day. I want to make you breakfast, I want to hear your voice, maybe even adopt kids... you're young, and I won't hold you to a commitment like that right now... But someday... would you? Would you be willing to love me forever?" He exhaled deeply as he imagined that future with Eren.

Eren froze for a moment, his heart pounding. Levi looked at him, his gorgeous grey eyes shining, watching him lovingly. He... he wanted all of those things. He really did. He wanted to be with Levi... forever. "Yes... I will. I don't care how young I am. When you're ready... Go ahead and ask. I love you. I always will. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

Levi grinned immediately, putting one leg over Eren's side and pulling him to his chest. He could actually feel tears sting his eyes. "I love you too..." They just sat like that, breathing steadily, listening to one anothers heartbeats as they cuddled, tangled in the thin sheets on the bed. Morning light peeked in through the shades, casting a beautiful red- orange glow on the room, giving Eren an almost angelic glow from Levi's perspective. Everything was still, everything felt perfect. They wanted to live in that moment forever, to never leave one another's grasp.

"Only problem... Us getting married in Illinois isn't legal at the moment." Eren reminded him, sounding disappointed. They had heard about a lot of hate crimes against gay couples lately. Jean and Marco went to the city just the week before, and people tried to spit on them, and said horrible things. Someone even called the police on them for holding hands. Eren and Levi were lucky to live in an area of the suburbs where homphobia and hate crimes were rare, but it was still terrifying, knowing that you could step outside of your house and get shot in the head, just for falling in love.

"Yeah, I know... It should be soon though. There are campaigns starting. I heard that the same sex marraige bill is being voted on soon. It's November 2013 for god's sake. They've got to legalize it at some point. And, even if it isn't legalized... We'll just go somewhere else." He promised, still hugging Eren tightly. He didn't care what it took. He would make Eren his, forever, officially, even if they had to go half way across the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later, Levi had gone out to the shopping mall, leaving Eren home. It had taken him a long, long time to convince Eren to stay home, and it involved a lot of whining and kissing.

He walked around the crowded building, practically shaking, his sweaty hands in his jean pockets. He was there to buy something very, very important, something that would change his life forever.

But, damn, he was nervous. It felt like his knees were about to give in, and he could feel people staring as he continued searching for a specific store, slouching with his shaking hands stuffed in his pockets. He wore a black hoodie, black skinny jeans, black combat boots, and a dark red beanir, plus he hadn't shaved in a week and had some serious stubble going on. It was obvious why people were staring so much, but he didn't care. He was a man on a mission.

Finally, when he turned a corner, he found the story he was looking for.

Slowly, carefully observing the display cases of expensive jewelry surrounding him, he stepped in. He grew more and more nervous by the second, and began to self conciously adjust his clothing, avoiding eye contact with anyone.

Almost immediately, an enthusiastic employee approached him. "Hello sir! Can I help you wi-"

The employee and Levi both froze, staring at each other in total awe.

"Jean?" Levi exclaimed, looking up at the tall, two toned, dork faced boy in front of him, wearing dressy pants, a white button up, and a tight fitting black vest, with a nametag.

"Levi!" He smiled, but then, after looking at Levi from head to toe, his face fell. "Bro- seriously, you look like absolute shit. What's up?"

Levi narrowed his eyes. "Thanks." he replied sarcastically. "And... I'm here... looking for...a ring."

"What kind of ring?" Jean inquired.

"An engagement ring."

Jean looked shocked, and he immediately froze. "Oh- Oh-" He stuttered. "OH MY GOD!!!!" He squealed, wrapping his muscular arms around Levi and pulling him into a deadly-tight hug. "CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!" He kept squealing, ignoring the stares of customers, who were obviously more than a bit weirded out by the sight of a six foot tall, well built, man, who was hugging a grouchy, emo-looking midget in the middle of a jewelry store and squealing like a three year old girl.

"J-J-Jean-" Levi gasped, embarrased, and barely able to breathe. Jean hugged him with unimaginable force for an eighteen year old boy. "Y-Y-You're ch-ch-chok-i-ing me-" He struggled to free himself from Jean's iron grip. He couldn't help but pity poor little Marco, being this hulk of a man's boyfriend!

"Oh- sorry!"Jean blushed and immediately released Levi, who inhaled deeply, thankful to be free. "But... Are you serious? Like, you're for real, for real gonna propose?"

Levi nodded shyly.

"It's not even legal yet!"

"I know, I know..." Levi grumbled, scratching the back of his neck. "But it will be someday, I know it. And, as soon as that day comes, I'm making him mine forever."

"EEEEEEKKKKK!" Jean squealed again, practically jumping up and down in joy. "Oh- Oh god! It's for real its for real its for reallll!"

"Ah!" Levi stopped him. "You can't tell him anything, no matter what."

"I promise I promise I promise!" he kept squealing, grinning uncontrollably.

"Jean, focus, I'm here for a ring, and I have no clue what the hell I'm doing. I need your help."

"Right! Right!" grabbing Levi's arm, Jean guided him to a display case.

"Okay, so it depends on what you're looking for, but..."

AUTHOR NOTE- Yo! So, the beginning of this story talked a lot of about Illinois and the whole gay marriage and hate crime thing I guess? I am from Illinois, and, like Eren and Levi in this story, I was lucky to be an a... Sort of safe ish area? It was nice and all, but I hear about hate crimes quite a bit. Im somewhere else now (that I would rather not name) but Illinois will always be my home. I'll talk more about his in the author note next chapter. Have a good day.
~Volune