Who Could Have Guessed

(Potential trigger warning- covers touchy topics, such as abuse, violence, and etc.)

Levi sighed in exasperation, running a hand through his hair as he looked at the empty desk in his classroom.

Once again, Eren had decided not to show up.

It worried Levi, honestly. He didn't want the kid to fail, and he didn't like the idea of him being alone so much and for so long. Also, Levi had to treat Eren's hand, but the kid didn't even bother to show up.

Shaking his head, he layed back, sitting at his desk, watching over the students as they took the test he had assigned. They were all writing furiously, not daring to even look up, in fear of Levi. He was an utterly terrifying teacher.

Well, actually, one of the students wasn't quite so afraid. Jean had been watching Levi expectantly throughout the whole class, and Levi assumed that he would be asking some questions after class.

Sure enough, an hour later, all the students had packed up their things and were leaving, except for horseface, who just remained seated.

The door clicked shut for the last time, leaving the midget and the horse on their own.

"Well? Is he okay?" Jean stood, swiftly walking to Levi's side.

Levi put his head in his hands and took a deep breath. "I don't even know... I don't know what to do... He's alive, or at least he was when I last saw him, but he's in so much pain..."

Jean frowned. "I can imagine... You know..." He paused, looking rather distressed. "He might be too far gone... Even if you try..."

"No." Levi stood, his hands at his sides. "I won't let this go on. I can help him. I know I can..."

"If you really love him..." Jean said doubtfully.

"I DO! OKAY? He- he just-" Levi took a deep breath, trying to calm himself after his sudden outburst. "I love him. I really do. I won't let him go." 

"I know. But he may not accept you."

"Who made you the love expert, huh?" Levi snapped. He didn't enjoy taking advice from children. It was degrading. 

Jean just frowned. "I... Have dealt with similar situations."

Levi just raised an eyebrow. 

"Marco..." He flinched. "God, he... was so close... to dying..." Jean inhaled sharply.

"I see... He seems awfully happy now."

Jean leaned on the desk. "That's just how it seems... It's not so hard to put on a fake smile, or default face for a few hours." He looked Levi dead in the eyes. "But, you already know that."

Levi didn't even flinch, but inside it felt like he had just had a mini heart attack. "What are you suggesting?" He asked coldly, trying to sound smooth and calm as he said it.

"Everyone has secerets, especially people like you." He said calmly and slowly, watching Levi's face intently, waiting for a reaction.

Levi remained silent and unmoving, determined not to give into some idiot horse. 

"Phobias, mistakes..." Jean trailed off for a second, looking at the ceiling and then back to Levi. "Childhood trauma?"

That definetly hit something. Levi shifted uncomfortably, trying to contain the fear in his eyes.

"Gotcha." Jean smirked. "Too easy. So what's your story?"

"Tch." Levi clicked his toung, shifting his gaze away from Jean. "How about you, eh?"