TWO

"You can't be really happy unless

you're unhappy sometimes." -Lauren Oliver

<< Apologies and Surprises >>

Dakota doesn't know how long she's been hiding in the duct, she was starting to get light headed from the bleeding. She was definitely surprised when the bunker door creaks open, the sound echoes through the ducts. She pulls out her switchblade, the one she stole when she was seven, and presses the button to release the blade.

Dean walks into the bunker with Mary Winchester trailing after him in confusion.

"You live here?" She asks, holding the balcony and looking over the place.

"Yeah, when we're not on the road." He explains. "It's an old Men of Letters bunker."

"Men of Letters?" Mary questions, looking over at her son in shock. She's heard the story of the Men of Letters.

"Yeah." Dean confirms.

"They're a myth." Mary accuses, following after Dean as he starts to walk down the stairs. "An old Hunter's story."

"Not so much." Dean corrects. "New duds look good." He tells her.

She fiddles with her new coat, chuckling. "Well, thanks."

"It's been than walking around in a nightgown for the rest--" Dean breaks off his sentence when he spots a small puddle of blood on the ground. The blood is smudged and has foot prints heading towards the library.

"That's blood." Mary points out, staring at the crimson liquid lining the floor.

"Yeah." Dean says, pulling out his gun and walking forward. He looks over his shoulder towards the small doorway, spotting two bullet holes in the wall and more drips of blood. "Sammy? Dakota?" He calls out as he walks towards the library. "Cas?"

"Who's Dakota?" Mary questions, having never heard that name of Castiel's. She hears the emotion in his voice when he says 'Dakota', it confuses her.

"My daughter, she's fifteen." (AN: technically when season 12 starts Dakota would be 16 because it would be October, but since there's no time skip between 11 and 12. I'm gonna say she's 15 for a little while. If I did the math correctly, which I'm not sure I did.)

Dean stops at a small smudged spot of blood, looking up at the wall and seeing the angel banishing sigil. He looks around, not liking how quiet it is. Dean glances at Mary before walking back towards the war table, pulling out their spare gun and handing it to his mother.

"Take this." He says after checking the bullets in it. "Stay here."

Dean starts to follow the blood in the hallway. "Dean." Mary hisses, not wanting to be left alone when she's so confused.