ELEVEN

"In three words I can sum up everything 

I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

<< The Tragic Life of Magda Peterson >>

Sam and Dakota waited until the sun went down to start scooping around the farm. Sam pulls the EMF reader out of his pocket and raises it in front of him, Dakota watches him skeptically. She purses her lips at him while following, she doesn't think it's a ghost. She thinks the witch makes more sense, but she understands Sam's thought.

Dakota pulls out her flashlight and clicks it on, brushing past Sam to go into the barn. The only sound that could be heard was horses breathing and bugs hidden in the dark. Dakota shines her light around, Sam mimics her after pulling out his own flashlight. They both shine the lights over baskets of fruit sitting on the table, Dakota wanders over to them while Sam looks at the EMF, trying to find any traces of the deceased Peterson.

Dakota glances over at the horses and smiles at the animals, moving passed Sam she reaches her hand out. Her fingers brush softly against a horse's nose, a small giggle escapes her lips but she's quick to muffle the sound. 

A loud noise goes off near them, almost sounding like a door squeaking open. Sam and Dakota exchange panicked looks, both turning off their flashlights. Sam grabs Dakota's hand and pulls her off to the side in one of the horses stall, his free hand reaching up to cover her mouth as Abraham walks into the barn. 

"Elijah?" Abraham questions as the younger Peterson stalks in, carrying a lantern in his hand. "What's wrong?"

"Mom's with Magda." Elijah answers, his voice sounding sad. Dakota hears Sam's breath hitch at the revelation that Magda Peterson is alive. 

"Your mother's doing God's work." Abraham assures his son.

"She's hurting her." Elijah responds stiffly, anger flaring up in his tone. Dakota tenses, hurting her how? She gives her uncle a sad look and he brushes his thumb comfortingly over the back of her hand. 

"Son," Abraham sighs, "the Devil's a deceiver. Don't let him sow doubt in you. If anyone found out about Magda, they'd come for her." 

Abraham reaches over to place some feed into the stall that Dakota and Sam are hiding in. They both try to press themselves tightly against the side to not be seen, Dakota practically sitting in Sam's lap. 

"And if that happened..." Abraham continues after he places the feed, not having seen the two Winchesters. "I love your sister...but you know what she can do."

There's an eery silence that follows Abraham's words, Dakota grips onto Sam's hand tightly. 

"Magda..." Abraham sighs, "Magda's our cross to bear." 

Abraham's words swirl in Dakota's head, distracting her slightly from their departure. Sam nudges her, but she's too lost in her thoughts to feel it.