FORTY-SIX

This will be different than the show.

Warning: Dakota's a potty-mouth in this chapter.

"Fortunately, as it pertains to guns, my dad and uncle introduced

me to guns the way it needs to be done: smart, slow and safe." -Ted Nugent

<< Love, Dakota >>

The survivors were all lounging around their makeshift camp, they felt the safest at night. Dakota was reclining back with her head placed in Jack's lap. The two had gotten increasingly closer since being stranded in the Apocalypse World. Dakota had her hand up, Jack's wrapped around her as he played with her fingers.

"Do you think they're looking for us?" Jack asked Dakota's eyes flicked up to meet his.

"Of course, there's no way in hell my dad wouldn't look for us," Dakota assured him softly, moving her hand to hold his closer so that he would look at her. "Hey, it's going to be okay, J. Sammy and my dad would go to Hell and back to find us."

"You." Jack corrected lightly, his face passive but his words sad.

"Maybe so, but where I go, you go. We stay together, no matter what."

Or so she thought. One second they were together and talking, the next there was screaming and people dying.

"Run!" Someone cried out in fear, another explosion hit the ground by Dakota and Jack. The young hunter was flung through the air, her ears rang harshly. She hit the ground with a thud, not that she could hear it. Her face connected with a jagged rock before she landed fully on her back. She barely registered her left shoe flying off from the force.

She turned over on her stomach, her eyes groggily dragged over the scene. It was complete chaos. Ash and dust sprinkled through the air like snow. Fires littered the ground as more explosions hit the ground. The angels had found them. She looked around groggily, her eyes fluttered now and then.

Dakota could see people screaming, but the sound was lost on her. It sounded like everything was submerged in water, and the only thing left was the ringing in her ears.

She could barely register the sound of gunfire, people firing out of pure fear while others ran in different directions. Dakota wasn't sure which group she should join. She pulled out and gripped her pistol tightly as she scanned the area.

"Jack!" She screamed, scrambling to her feet. She stumbled in her spot as the Earth shook with each hit. "Jack! Where are you? Jack!"