TWENTY-SEVEN

"There is no greater agony than 

holding an untold story inside you." -Maya Angelou

<< >>

After Castiel's funeral, the Winchesters and Jack piled into the Impala. Jack and Dakota both fell asleep during the ride, leaving Sam and Dean in a tense silence. Dakota's head was laying on Jack's shoulder, much to Dean's dismay. 

Sam keeps glancing over at Dean, unsure of what to say to make him feel better. 

"Hey, we still got probably 12 hours until we're home." He settles on, his tone quiet so he doesn't wake up the two teens. "You want me to drive?" 

"Do I ever want you to drive?" He snarks back, Sam presses his lips together. 

"Look...losing mom and Cas, that's a lot to process, Dean, especially on no sleep. And the kid--"

"'The kid'?" Dean quotes back, annoyed. "Come on, man. You know how this plays out. Dakota does, too. Look, when we try to bend the rules, pretend that the bad guys aren't so bad or that things will get fixed, that's when people that we care about get hurt. And then we're back doing what we should have done in the first place, which is end the problem. So this time, let's start with the obvious." Dean rants.

Dakota shifts in her sleep, causing Jack to do the same, before they move relax, Dakota ending up closer to the Nephilim. Sam glances back at them, not knowing how to feel about Dakota having a crush. 

"Soon as I find a way to take care of...it." Dean continues, glaring back in the rear-view mirror. 

"Dean, 'the problem' might be our only shot at saving mom. And Dakota seems to like him, which doesn't happen often. She's drawn to him in some type of way." 

"Mom's gone. There's no fixing that." Dean says. "And Dakota isn't drawn to anything." He spits, denying the truth. 

"This is a bad idea

"This is a bad idea. We should've just kept driving." Dean complains. 

Sam made Dean pull over to a motel so they could all get some sleep, he woke up the two teens in the back. Dakota had sprung away from Jack when she realized she fell asleep on him, her cheeks bright red.