TWENTY-TWO

"Fire in the heart sends smoke

into the head." -German Proverb

<< Distress >>

Silence.

That's all that surrounded the Winchesters.

Dakota's leg bounces nervously as her eyes dart across her family, her thumbnail wedged between her teeth lightly. She took a deep breath as Dean sighs and wipes at his forehead.

"Baby, we can't have a family meeting if you don't say anything." He says lightly, trying to give her a smile but it looks more like a grimace, nerves flooding him.

"Yeah, it's just hard. I know you're not going to like this, any of you." Dakota mumbles, lowering her head from their gazes.

"Just talk to us." Sam tells her softly, he leans back in his chair and lays his hands over his stomach.

"I-I...I can't stop thinking about Billie's deal." She blurts out, her cheeks turning red as she avoids everyone's eyes.

"What?" Sam gasps, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Billie's deal to reap us." Dakota explains almost shyly.

"No, I know what you're talking about." He sighs, covering his face as his eyes start to burn. "I just mean, what?"

"Dakota, you can't be serious." Cas says, his face broken. She just nods her head to his words, avoiding eye contact.

"Say it." Dean speaks up, his eyes not moving from his daughter's, his face blank of emotion. "I need to hear you say it." His words tense and broken up.

Dakota looks up at him sadly, almost begging him not to make her say it. She knows that once she says it, there's no going back. Her words would hurt them more.

"Say it." He repeats.

"I'm tired of fighting." She tells them quietly, although in the near silent room--it was almost a yell.

Dean scoffs, his eyes well up and he looks away. He places his hands on his head, knotting his fingers into his cropped hair.

"Why?" Sam asks, a tear falls down his face but he angrily wipes it away, clearing his throat.

"I think given the circumstances it's pretty obvious." Dakota's voice thick emotion. She rubs at her face harshly, tugging at the ends of her hair.

"No, you see we don't get to quit." Dean hisses, standing from his chair and taking a couple steps toward her, pointing his finger at her harshly. "Not with what we do, we quit and people die."

Dakota stands too.

"Don't you think we've given enough?!" She shrieks, her face turning red as she forces herself not to cry. "Gone through enough?!"