FORTY-FIVE

"I've never been lost, but I was mighty

 turned around for three days." -Daniel Boone

<< Life in the Unknown >>

Dakota and Jack, so far, are lucky that Michael hasn't shown up. Dakota celebrated her luck by pacing back and forth in front of Mary. Jack watches her carefully, listening to the unintelligible mumbling that escapes his soulmates mouth. 

Dakota knots her hands through her hair, tugging at it in frustration. 

"Okay, Dakota, we need to calm down and think like Sam and Dean." Jack says soothingly. 

"What do you think I am doing?!" Dakota snaps. "I know how to think like them, I do think like them. I'm trying to come up with a plan." 

"Dakota, calm down." Jack presses, his own frustration doubled. 

Dakota takes a couple deep breaths, running her hands through her hand. She stops her pacing and turns to face Jack and Mary, taking another deep breath. 

"Okay, okay, okay, I'm good." She sighs, fidgeting with her hands slightly. 

"Good, we need a plan." Jack tells her, agreeing with Dakota's thought to make a plan, just not her process. 

Dakota refrains from snapping at Jack for repeating what she's been saying. She takes one last deep breath. 

"Baby steps, first thing we need to do is get out of here." Dakota explains, giving both of them a look. "J, help me with this." 

The two teens start to try and find a way to free Mary. 

<><><><>

Sam and Dean argue back and forth in the Impala. Sam told Donna that it was safer for Doug to leave her, for her to let him go. Dean didn't agree with him. 

"You keep saying I'm in a dark place, but I'm not, Dean." Sam nearly shouts. "Everything I'm saying is the truth. It's our lives. And I tried to pretend it didn't have to be. I tried to pretend we could have mom back and Cas and--and help Jack. But we can't. This ends one way for us, Dean. It ends bloody. It ends bad." Sam rants. 

Dean stays quiet, just watching the road in front of him as guilt swells up in him. 

"I know, Sam, I know. We led Dakota to her death, and Jack. We tried to bring mom back and I lost my daughter in the process." Dean seethes. 

Sam sighs lightly, removing his gaze from the window to look at his brother. 

"We don't know that." Sam mumbles unconvincingly. 

"We do, Sam. We know. Jack and Dakota didn't go to the Bad Place with us, and they didn't end up with Kaia. So, they're dead." 

"Dean, we thought the same thing about mom."