THIRTY-EIGHT

"Oh, what the hell

"Oh, what the hell...I'll never 

be able to unsee this." -Dakota Winchester

<< Teen Winchester >>

2015

Dean spent days just reading book after book about the Mark of Cain. Dakota was with Sam for the majority of the day, occasionally dropping in and helping Dean with his reading. 

Dakota had tried talking to Dean, but he brushed her off saying he was busy and would talk to her later. 

He had finally let her into his room after an hour of sitting outside. She took place on his bed, curled up around his pillow as he sat on the floor with a book in his lap. 

A knock on his door broke Dean out of his thoughts, he blinks a couple times and sighs--casting a glance at Dakota. 

"Hey." Sam greeted his brother, his eyes shifting over to Dakota briefly. 

"Hey." Dean whispered quietly. 

"Caught a case." Sam announced. "Apparently something is taking people and leaving their clothes."

"Shh." Dean quickly shushed his brother when his voice began to raise. Sam apologized before handing Dean the tablet in his hands. "Hmm. About time this gig got an 'R' rating. All right. Why don't you check it out? I'll hold down the fort." Dean proposed, Dakota whined and curled around Dean's pillow tighter. 

Dean held out the tablet for Sam, but the taller Winchester didn't take it--shifting awkwardly. 

"Dean, you haven't left the bunker in a week. I don't think Dakota's seen sunlight in awhile, that's not good." 

Dean just gave him a look, before looking down and tossing the tablet on his bed. Dakota made a noise as it hit her shin, she lifted her head and glared at Dean.

"Sorry, baby." He cooed gently as he rubbed her leg, before he shifted his gaze to Sam. "And?"  

"And you can't just live the rest of your life locked up in this room. Dakota needs to get out too, Dean." 

"I don't know. I got three hots and a cot. Dakota's fine, Sammy, if she wants to leave you can take her somewhere. Could be worse." Dean shrugged, giving Dakota a goofy smile as she sat up. 

"Look, I know you're worried about the Mark." Sam pressed his lips together, giving Dean a sympathetic look. 

"Yes, Sam. I am." Dean snapped, glaring up at his brother. He sighed before looking over at Dakota. "Hey, baby, why don't you go to room and watch a movie, all right?" 

"Okay, dad." Dakota agreed, kissing Dean's cheek and giving him a tired smile. 

They wait until Dakota's bedroom door shuts before Dean continues talking.