THIRTY-SIX

"The most important thing in the world

is family or love." -John Wooden

<< The Downfall >>

Castiel walks out of the kitchen, clenching and unclenching his hands as he walks. Dakota gave him the dutiful task of telling her father the news about Dakota and Jack, to say the angel was nervous--that would be an understatement.

"Hey, Cas." Dean calls when he spots the angel coming back into the library. Cas glances over at the two Winchesters, both drinking beers and making conversation. "Where's Kota and Satan's spawn?"

"Oh, they're talking in the other room," Cas starts, fiddling with his hands--a nervous habit he picked up from Dakota. "I have to tell you something, Dean."

That sentence had Dean's attention in a second, his eyes narrowing at the angel's nervous body language.

"All right...?" Dean trails off in confusion, gesturing for Cas to continue.

"Oh, well...you see--"

"Did you kill anybody?" Dean cuts him off, raising an eyebrow.

"What? No!" Cas exclaims in confusion, shaking his head at Dean's question.

"Did Jack kill anybody?"

"No, Dean." Cas shakes his head again.

"Is Dakota hurt in any way?"

"No, she's fine." Cas answers, confusion coloring his tone heavily.

"Then everything's fine, no need to be nervous." Dean chuckles, hoping to relieve the nervousness.

Castiel takes a deep breath, thinking over his words carefully. He knew he had to approve this subject slowly and cautiously.

"Dakota and Jack are soulmates." He blurts out.

Nailed it.

Dean's smile slips off his face faster than Cas could blink. His brow draws in before his eyes harden.

"I'm sorry, what?" Dean asks, his tone deadly calm.

"Jack and Dakota are...uh, soulmates." Cas drawls, scratching the back of his neck.

Silence fell over the three as both Sam and Cas watch Dean's reaction carefully. His breathing picks up, his eyes narrow in on the angel who told him the news, his face slowly turns red.

"What do you mean they're soulmates!? Hell no!" Dean shouts, standing up quickly, his chair sliding against the ground loudly.

Sam winces.

"There is no possible way that my daughter is destined to be with Lucifer's son. There's no way in hell I'm letting that happen!"

"Dean--"