THIRTY-TWO

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; 

the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."

<< Robbing Graves and Going to Therapy >>

The trip to the cemetery was quiet, any conversation attempted would immediately die out. Neither Dean nor Dakota felt much like talking, Dean was drowning in the thoughts of losing his daughter. Dakota felt suffocated by her self doubts, they always decided to creep in when she wasn't expecting them. 

She constantly felt like she was being jerked back and forth by her own insecurities. She wants to be a hunter, to be like her dad, but she was scared by everything it seemed like. Without Cas there, she didn't know what to do anymore. 

By the time the three hunters and Nephilim made it to the cemetery, all of Dakota's nails were bitten down to the beds.

Today was a bad day for her, she didn't feel like herself. She just felt off. 

Dakota follows after her dad, each of them carrying a lantern. Sam mutters something to Jack quietly, the Nephilim nods in reply and sends Dakota a small smile. Dean catches a look and his own expression turns sour. 

"All right, well, you said you wanted to help, so, uh...dig." Dean orders, throwing the shovel to Jack who catches it swiftly. Dakota sighs softly at her dad's attitude. 

Dean storms off with Sam following after, but Dakota decides to stick by Jack--grabbing the spare shovel and helping him. 

"Dean, what's up with all the orders?" Sam hisses, Jack and Dakota glance at each other. "You're starting to sound like dad." 

"That a bad thing?" Dean questions, Dakota can't help but feel slightly disappointed. When she was younger, Dean would constantly tell her he didn't want to end up like John.

"I'm just saying his--his drill sergeant act with you and Dakota, but it didn't work with me."

Dakota freezes, straightening her posture and glaring at Sam. She followed John's orders, but she wasn't a mindless soldier, not like Sam's making her out to be. 

She misses whatever Sam says next, setting her shoulders and returning to digging. 

"Look, you wanted the kid here, he's here. All right?" Dean drawls out, glancing at Jack and Dakota. "But I'm not gonna hold his hand and tuck him in at night. Pass. I'm not gonna be his mother, and neither are you."

That sentence grabs Jack's attention, but not in the way Dakota would expect it to. 

"Dean's your dad, right?" He asks, making sure he was following along. 

"Yeah." Dakota smiles, nodding her head and tossing a glance over her shoulder at Dean, he was watching them dig with a blank expression. 

"Where's your mother?" Jack questions, he looks around like he's expecting Dakota's mom to walk out and say hello.