FORTY-THREE

"The quiet sense of

"The quiet sense of

something lost." -Tennyson

<< We're Not In Kansas Anymore >>

The Winchesters and Kaia sat in awkward silence as they drove. Dakota, in between Jack and Kaia, shifts in her spot. She wasn't sure who was more displeased with the seating arrangement, her or Kaia. She presses herself against Jack's side.

Sam glances over his shoulder at her, she gives him a thumbs up along with a tight lip smile. He sighs softly before shooting his older brother a look, lowering his voice to a mutter.

"So now what? We get Kaia to the Wind Caves, and then what?" Sam hisses. "Force her to dreamwalk at gunpoint?"

"We get mom back, no matter what." Dean retorts, his words terse. "Remember?"

Dakota sighs, slipping her hand into Jack's and lacing their fingers together. She leans her head back on the seat and closes her eyes, done with her father's behavior.

It was no secret that he was scaring her, with how he's acting. Holding a gun to a teenage girl? Someone roughly Dakota's age? It wasn't right, it wasn't Dean. It scared her.

"I'm sorry...about all of this." Jack apologizes to Kaia, his breath fanning against Dakota's cheek. "I was like you, Kaia, afraid of my powers. But it doesn't have to be like that. You said that you wished that things could've been different, and that's why you reached out to Derek. Derek thought that you could help me, and I could help you."

"Why do you keep saying his name?" Kaia snaps. "Derek's dead because of you."

Jack looks away, Dakota glares at Kaia as she tightens her grip on the Nephilim.

"Five seconds." Jack mumbles to them.

"What?" Kaia questions.

"Give me five seconds to show you what Derek saw, what I saw with him. It wasn't just the Bad Place. It was...everything." Jack says, his voice wistful. "It's...amazing."

Kaia looks down for a couple seconds.

"Five seconds." She relents.

"Oh, boy." Dakota mutters, knowing that if Jack does what he did with the Winchester brothers--Dakota would be in pain.

Jack reaches over Dakota, releasing the hunter's hand, and places his on Kaia's temple. Dakota's abdomen flares up in pain, causing the girl to groan through clenched teeth.

Images flicker behind Dakota's eyelids, she curls up and buries her face in Jack's shoulder. The pictures Jack shows them are nice, but Dakota can't focus on them over the pain in her stomach.

She whimpers slightly, hugging herself. Jack releases Kaia, causing the pain to simmer down. Dakota breathes heavily, pressing her face against Jack's neck. Her breath hits his skin slightly, causing it to warm up.