TWELVE

"My life is a perfect graveyard

of buried hopes." -L.M. Montgomery

<< Glimpses of the in Between >>

Dean paces around the waiting room of the Emergency Room, Sam sits in a chair, watching Dean and biting his nails. Dean called Cas upon arriving at the hospital, the angel promising that he'll be there as soon as he can.

"Mr. Hadden?" A doctor calls out, walking towards the waiting room.

"Me." Dean quickly says, practically sprinting towards the doctor. "My daughter?"

"Dakota is unresponsive, she won't wake up." The doctor explains, not meeting Dean's eyes.

"Well, what's wrong with her?" Dean presses, his eyes wide and anxious.

The doctor pauses, glancing back and forth between the two Winchesters, clearing his throat awkwardly.

"Uh, we're not exactly sure. We can't find anything wrong, she's tested negatively on any viral infections or diseases. She seems healthy, she just won't...wake up." The doctor reveals, Dean sucks in a sharp breath, take a couple steps away from the doctor and turning away.

"C-can we see her?" Sam questions, glancing at Dean.

The doctor nods, leading the Winchesters towards Dakota's room. Dean releases a pained noise when he spots her.

Her skin is ashen and sickly pale, dark circles lay under her closed eyes. He almost couldn't recognize her. His hands start to shake, his eyes burn with tears, he clenches his jaw to stop himself from crying.

Sam opens the door, seeing as Dean couldn't force himself to move. He gently pushes his brother forward, urging him to go be there for Dakota. He stumbles forward, practically tripping over himself to reach her side quickly.

He picks up her hand and holds it in both of his, leaning his head against it as he bites his lip harshly to keep the tears at bay. Her skin is like ice compared to his, he gently tries to warm it in his hands, pressing a light kiss to the back of her hand.

"I need you to wake up." He says quietly, Sam leans his back against the wall--letting Dean have his time. "You hear me? I need you, Kota. Please. Show me your eyes, okay? Baby?" He chokes a sob, pressing her hand against his face and shutting his eyes.

Dean looks over at Sam, almost like he was begging his brother to help him. To help Dakota. The Winchesters were lost without Dakota. Without their sun with them it was endless darkness. A bottomless pit filled with grief and hopelessness, no possible escape from their own personal hell. Dakota is their escape, Dakota is their hope.