EIGHTEEN

"Where there is no struggle, 

there is no strength." -Oprah Winfrey

<< Strange Things Occur >>

Once Dean got Dakota calmed down, her sobs turn into quiet whimpers. He rubs her back soothingly, occasionally whispering 'it's okay, you're okay' or 'I'm here'. Sam had left to go find Mary, to make sure that she was okay after Dean snapping at her. Dean picks Dakota up off the ground, setting her back on her feet and placing his hands on her shoulders. 

"Hey, we're gonna figure this out, okay?" He assures her, his voice soft. He pulls her into a gentle hug, he smooths her hair down. "I promise, baby, we're going to figure this out. Whatever is happening to you, we'll fix it." 

"I keep seeing Purgatory and Benny, I hear him." She breaths out, her voice almost silent. "I don't know how to stop it, I don't know what I'm going to see next." 

"Shh, we'll figure it out, Kota." Dean says soothingly. "Let's go get some air. Yeah?" He gives her a smile as she nods, he places a hand between her shoulder blades and gently ushers her out the front door.

He pulls out a flask from his pocket, taking a swig from it. He hesitates before gesturing it towards Dakota, she stares at him in shock. He's never offered her a drink before, of course she's drank beers with him before, but he's not typically this open about it. She slowly takes it and drinks, keeping her eyes on him. 

"Are you okay?" She questions him as he leans against the side of the Impala. She slides onto the hood of the Impala, next to Dean.

"Fine." He says instantly, she raises an eyebrow and hands him the flask back. He sighs and lowers his head from her gaze. "It's just...frustrating that mom came all the way to Canada for Asa but didn't come see you in the hospital." 

"She probably...didn't know what to do when I was in the hospital." She replies slowly. 

"It-it just would've been nice to see her." Dean insists. 

"I know." 

Dakota leans her head against Dean's shoulder, wrapping her arms around one of Dean's. 

"Moms are...odd." Dakota settles on, she hugs Dean's arm tighter. "At least yours isn't crazy." 

Dean couldn't help but chuckle, he nods at her words. 

"What about...Milo?" Dean asks, setting his head on top of hers. "How was it to have a brother?" 

"He's not my brother," Dakota sighs, "but he was cool. I liked him better than Marley, but I didn't talk to him." She shrugs.