SEVENTEEN

'"I have sadness in me

'"I have sadness in me. I have anger in me.

I have heartbreak in me." -Ellen DeGeneres

<< Loathing Over Loving >>

Flashback Continuation (2011)

Dakota sat on the coach in Marley's living room, her back completely straight while her hands were placed in her lap. Milo was next to her, he shifted in his seat a couple times before Dakota shot him a fierce glare. His blood nearly ran cold from the hatred that shone in the young girl's eyes.

It was obvious to the mother and son that Dakota did not want to be there, that she'd rather be anywhere but in that living room. The clock above the mantle ticked loudly, every jarring sound it made seem to fuel Dakota's anger more.

"So..." Marley cleared her throat as she crossed her legs. Dakota mentally sighed at the irritating sound of Marley's voice. "How old are you, Dakota?"

Dakota chuckled sarcastically, she dragged her glare to her mother.

"You're suppose to be my mother and you don't know how old I am? Ridiculous." Dakota scoffed.

"I'm sorry, I know that you're angry with m-"

"Angry?" Dakota cut her off harshly. "No, Marley, I'm not angry with you. In fact, I could care less about you. You're not my mother, you're just a bitch who can't stay out of my life!"

"Excuse me?" Marley looked taken aback, her eyes darted to her son uncomfortably. "Dakota, calm down."

Dakota stared back at her, her face angry and pained.

"Why couldn't you be a mother to me? What does Milo have that I didn't?" Dakota's voice was airy, her throat suddenly felt incredibly dry. She swallowed thickly.

"Oh, honey, it wasn't you. Not at all. It was me and my own insecurities. I wasn't ready to be a mother when you were born?"

"But you were a year after? What difference did a year make? Why have another child when you already left one motherless?" Dakota sneered, her face flushed.

"Dakot-"

"No. Listen to me." Dakota interrupted. "I was a baby. I didn't know that it was normal to have two parents, I didn't know that kids were suppose to have a mother. I didn't know! I had a dad, I had a uncle, and I had a grandfather. I had three men raising me, I had no women in my life. Nobody to braid my hair, teach me about boys, or tell me about clothes. I had nothing like that."

Marley sighed, covered her face briefly before she looked up to Milo.

"Milo, honey, why don't you go set the table for dinner?" Milo nodded and quickly left the room.