THIRTY

"No one can make you feel inferior

without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt

<< the Shape-shifting Turtle >>

Dakota flops back on one of the two beds in Donatello's room. Jack watches her curiously, the Winchesters decided that it would be better to have the Nephilim and prophet in one room--too much tension among the hunters.

"I'm sorry about my dad...again." Dakota decides to break the silence.

"Why does he hate me?" Jack questions.

Dakota sighs softly, pulling herself up so she could look at him. She gives him a reassuring smile.

"He doesn't hate you, Jack. He's scared and in pain, he's never been very good with those emotions." Dakota explains quietly, playing with her hands nervously. "We lost a lot of people the night you were born, and we haven't had time to grief them."

Dakota moves over so she's sitting next to him, nudging him gently with her shoulder.

"I know that you're scared of your powers, but you don't have to be." Dakota nearly whispers the words. Jack's brow furrows as he glances at her.

"How come?" He presses, just as quiet.

"Because I'm going to be by your side every step of the way. You don't have to be afraid." She hesitantly places her hand over his, her cheeks turn pink from her actions.

Jack looks down at his feet, Dakota opens her mouth to say something when the door opens. Donatello walks in and smiles widely at the two kids, Dakota squints at him as she pulls her hand away from Jack's.

"Hey, kids." Donatello greets cheerfully, Dakota's face twists up in disgust at his tone.

"What do you want?" She questions him, her tone sounding bored and annoyed.

"I was just talking to Sam and he wanted me to take Jack out for a bit, to talk." Donatello explains, shrugging briefly.

"Why?" Dakota immediately questions.

"He thought maybe I could help."

Dakota bites her lip as she thinks through her options, something didn't feel right about Donatello taking Jack. She sighs before nodding her head, Jack stands to leave.

"You go ahead, Jack, I wanted to ask Dakota something." Donatello states, Jack glances at Dakota before disappearing through the door.

"What do you want, turtle?" Dakota sighs, rubbing her forehead.

"I wanted to ask if you thought Jack was dangerous."

Dakota freezes in confusion, dragging her gaze over to meet Donatello's. She cocks her head to the side, narrowing her eyes.