NINE

"No one told me that 

grief felt so like fear." -C.S. Lewis 

<< Flashback II >>

Sam sat with his back pressed against the cabinets, his eyes were teary as he stared at Dakota's still body. He raised a hand to push back his hair, holding it there as he released a pained breath. This wasn't how it was suppose to go, if anyone was going to get hurt it should've been me, he thought to himself as his blinked harshly. 

Dean asked Sam to watch Dakota for the night, so he could go out to a bar and hangout for awhile

Dean asked Sam to watch Dakota for the night, so he could go out to a bar and hangout for awhile. Sam tried to say no but Dean wanted one night to himself, so Sam was stuck with a fussy six year old for the night. 

"Why don't we watch a movie tonight, Kota?" Sam questioned his niece as she pouted about her father being gone. "How does that sound?" 

"Like...a Sammy date?" She asked, her head tilted to the side in confusion.

"A Sammy date?" He repeated in confusion, he placed his papers down and turned towards her. 

"Yeah! Me and daddy would go on daddy-Kota dates while grandpa was working." She explained, her eyebrows scrunched together as she tried to find the right words. "We'd do fun things without grandpa knowing." 

"Dean did that?" Sam asked in surprise, he was shocked that Dena would go behind John's back like that, it wasn't like him. 

"Yes." Dakota nodded her head in confirmation. 

"Wow." Sam muttered before going over to his backpack on the bed. "Here, Kota, I grabbed this awhile ago, thought you might wanna watch it sometime." He said while grabbing a DVD from his bag. 

Dakota rushed over to him and grabbed the movie, she mouthed the words as she read the title. 

"Alvin and the Chipmunks?" She read out loud.

"Yeah, it's suppose to be funny, Kota." He told her, giving her a smile. 

Dakota grinned happily as she ran towards the DVD player to start the movie. She was good at using a DVD player, something Dean taught her how to use so that way he could go on short hunts and leave her occupied. She was only ever alone for a couple hours before Dean would take a break from his hunt to check on her and make sure she was okay.