THIRTY-THREE

Okay, so this chapter is going to be a bit different than my others. This is going to be more of an insight on Dean not thinking he's good enough to protect his child. His fears on failing as a father.

Jack won't appear in this chapter, it doesn't exactly follow the current timeline, it's just a little thing I wanted to write to explain Dean's fears.

Warning: This chapter might cause tears.

Hope you enjoy!

<><><><>

"The worst feeling in the world is knowing you did the best you could and it still wasn't good enough

"The worst feeling in the world is knowing you did the best you could and it still wasn't good enough." -Unknown

<< Nightmares and Insecurities >>

It was night in the bunker, and two of the Winchesters were sound asleep. Dakota curls up in her fuzzy blankets, a book slipping through her fingers and landing softly on the floor, headphones were placed over her ears. Sam sleeps on his stomach, his hands gripped his gun underneath his pillow.

Dean tosses and turns, his brow furrows and scrunches as his lips tremble. Sweat breaks out across his skin as his hands fist into the blanket, trying to find comfort among the softness of the fabric.

"No!" He screams, bolting upright and gasping for air as tears lined his vision. Sam burts into the room a second later, his eyes alert and gun raised. "D-Dakota." He stutters, pushing himself from the bed, fighting against the blanket that was wrapped around him. "Get off me!"

"Dean?" Sam asks as his older brother violently thrashes the blanket off of him. Dean doesn't answer, instead he shoves his way past Sam, walking quickly towards Dakota's room. "Dean, she's okay, she's asleep." Sam says soothingly.

"I...I just have to see." He murmurs, quietly opening Dakota's door.

He visibly relaxes when he spots his daughter curled up, sound asleep with her mouth parted slightly. He could hear the quiet music playing from her headphones and smiled, he leans against the door frame and takes a deep breath. He lowers his head and closes the door again, slowly making his way back to his room. Sam follows after him in confusion, his eyes wide and his brow pinched together.

"Dean?" Sam speaks up quietly, choosing his words carefully.

Every once in awhile Dean would wake up from a nightmare, most of them time he'd demand to see Dakota. Usually his nightmares were about the horrors he's witness in his life, the most common on was watching Dakota get shot over and over again. Listening to his daughter gasp for air as she struggled against the pain, he would be helpless—forced to watch his baby suffer.

"S-She...I watched her get possessed," Dean whispers, his voice cracks and he bites his quivering lips harshly. "I wasn't able to save her, Sammy, I never can."