FOURTEEN

"The most important thing is to

enjoy your life--to be happy--it's all that matter." -Audrey Hepburn

<< Touch of Reality >>

Dakota springs awake, bolting upright in the hospital bed with wide eyes, her chest heaving as she attempts to catch her breath.

"Dakota?" Dean touches her shoulder, leaning into her line of sight after standing. She drags her eyes over to him as she drags air into her lungs before sighing.

"What the hell?" Dakota mumbles to herself, removing her gaze from Dean's to look around the room in confusion.

"Do you remember what happened?" Sam questions as he walks forward to stand on her other side, across from Dean.

Dakota slowly nods her head, glancing at the two before looking down at her lap as everything sinks in.

"I won." She breathes out, chuckling in relief and giving her dad a wide smile. "I actually won."

"Yeah, you did." Dean laughs along with her, pressing a kiss to her temple. He looks at Sam and jerks his head towards the door, silently tell him to go get a nurse. "I'm proud of you."

Dakota grins, looking down at her lap before a nurse comes in, ushering Dean out of the room so she could check over Dakota.

"How do you feel?"

"I feel fine, I'm a little tired." Dakota shrugs in response, glancing at Dean. He's standing in the hallway watching through the window, he gives her an awkward smile and two thumbs up. She scoffs and shakes her head, a smile curling at her lips.

After a couple more questions from the nurse and Dakota assuring that she's perfectly fine, she was reluctantly released from the hospital. The nurse hands Dakota a bag of her belongings, and leaves the room to give the young girl privacy.

"You scared the hell outta me, kid." Dean says, pulling Dakota into a tight hug as she walks out of her room, dressed in the clothes she collapsed in.

Dakota wraps her arms around Dean's waist, digging her face into his chest and breathing in deeply, allowing herself to sink into the safety of her father's embrace.

"Hey, come on, let me have some Kota time." Sam complains childishly from the side, he huffs in annoyance. Dakota chuckles and pulls away from her dad, looking into his identical green eyes. They give each other the same crooked half smile, then Dakota hugs Sam tightly. "I missed you, bug."

"I missed you guys, too. You have no idea." She says quietly, pulling away from her uncle. She sighs and takes a couple steps back, facing them as she readies herself for the questions.