FORTY-TWO

WARNING: I don't know if I actually have to put a warning up, but I don't want angry people coming after me so here it is. In this chapter Dakota says the phrase "ear-raped" so be warned.

"You may have to fight a battle more

than once to win it." -Margaret Thatcher

<< Finding Kaia >>

The Winchesters and Jack drive around looking for Kaia. Sam calls the local police to see if they have any leads.

Dean made Dakota keep at least a three foot gap between her and Jack.

So the two were crammed into the opposite sides of the Impala. Anytime Dakota would shift away from the side, Dean would send her a sharp glare.

"All right, thanks." Sam says into the phone, before hanging up. "Cops are looking for Kaia, too."

"We gotta find her fast." Dakota points out, sighing and shifting.

"Dakota, I swear to God, if you move one more inch--"

"All right, all right, jeez, I got it." Dakota rolls her eyes, crossing her arms and returning to her spot. Shivering slightly as the cool side presses against abdomen.

"You were right." Dean admits, glancing toward his brother, his tone tense. "About mom. You were right. This whole time, we should've been looking for her."

"Dean, I was just hoping. I didn't know." Sam corrects. "Anyways, it doesn't matter. Now that we do know--"

"We find her." Dean cuts Sam off. "No matter what it takes."

"Yep."

"Damn straight."

Dakota and Sam's agreeances ring out through the dark car.

"Kid, you okay?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, I'm fi--"

"Wasn't talking to you."

"Oh, well screw you, too, I guess."

Jack stays silent through the small exchange, staring blankly in front of him. Dakota turns to him in concern, exchanging a furrowed look with her uncle.

"Jack, you okay?" Dakota questions, sliding over and placing a hand on his shoulder--ignoring Dean's scowl.

She pushes away her jealousy toward Kaia.

"You thought...you all though that I could do that, that I could kill Derek."

Dakota sighs, lowering her gaze and turning away from him. She scoots back on the bench, quilt swelling up in her.

"Jack, we, um...we didn't know what happened. We figured, m-maybe it was an accident or--or..." Sam tries to explain, but words fail him.

"Like the security guard." Jack sums up sadly.