12. waterfall

Y/n POV:
6 days after the crash

I woke up with the biggest headache I've ever had. It was like someone was stabbing a knife through the back of my skull.

That's not it, though. The pain in my stomach is getting worse and worse each day. I haven't eaten since the day of the crash.

We have some of the snacks from the plane, but I'm determined to save them for when I know I'm going to die if I don't eat them.

These must've woken me up, because the entire sky is just a light shade of blue right now. The sunrise was probably in about an hour, so I'm guessing it's about 3:30 to 4:00am.

I groggily get up. I have to find food, so I decide to just leave now while it's early and find food for both Grayson and I.

It's not like I'll fall asleep any time soon with this headache.

I walk over to the wreck and look through the things at the front. Thank God not a lot of the luggage was damaged, so we have a lot of really useful supplies. The plane is kind of like our store.

There I find a notebook and a pen out of the many things on the plane, also known as the chunk of twisted metal. As I walk back to where Grayson is, the sound of him snoring reaches me, making me giggle lightly.

I leave a scribbled note right next to Grayson that says "I'll see you soon, just getting some food for us." It was so hard to write that thing. It was so dark that I could barely see the words.

I get up from where I was sitting when I was writing the note with a huge groan. I'm too tired for this. I could feel my head throbbing.

I massage my temples lightly as I walk through the sand and then feel the transition under my feet as the land goes from sandy to grassy.

These forests are really hard to get through. They have no open trails or anything, so you have to push and pull your way through the plants in order to get where you want.

There's this one part of the forest that I especially don't like, since there's nothing that we could eat over there and you almost always get thorns to the face by being hit with a branch of them.

That wouldn't help my headache.

Today I decide not to get pummeled by thorns. I wanted to explore, for the reason most people would say .

Because I can.

I laugh lightly at the fact that my thoughts sound like they come from a second grader, and then I take a sharp left in a place where I usually take a right.

I feel the grass beneath me turn to moss. The feeling on my feet is good, because the cool, soft moss is a great change from the hard, pointy grass.

It looks just like all the other places of the forest.

Wow, shocker.

I rip through a bit of the trees and I see what looks to be a drop off about six to eight yards from where I am.

I can't really see it because so many plants are blocking it, so I shuffle my way through them, making sure nothing that could hurt me touches me.

If I came back with a bunch of cuts and scratches on me, not only would I be in pain, but Grayson would be worried.

I finally make my way to the drop off and see that it's not actually a drop off, it's just a pretty steep hill lined with rocks.

One of the rocks looks especially good for sitting down and taking a break. I make a mental note to remember that this will be my new place.

But when I look up, the most breathtaking view  covers my eyes. This almost looks like a piece of art.

I've never seen a waterfall so beautiful.

I sit in my thoughts as I see the sun rise over the water. The best artist couldn't paint something nearly as stunning as this.

The best 80 artists couldn't paint something nearly as stunning as this.

I watch the sun fully rise over the cascading water, and then I continue to look for food. I'm looking for literally anything that is edible.

I search through the water first to look for fish, but sadly can't find anything. After that, I go the way I was going before I saw the waterfall.

The ground beneath me changes back to sand, but there's still plants around me. I push back a few bushes and walk through them.

Oh my god.

The sand in front of me is lined with trees of fruit. And under them, berry bushes.

I sprint back to Grayson, getting a few bruises and cuts on the way, which I don't mind.

"Grayson!" I yell out of excitement when I finally get back.

"Y/n? What's wrong?" He gets up right away, because he's used to waking up after my nightmares.

Add that to the fact that he hasn't eaten in days. I feel so bad for him, he must be exhausted.

"You need to see this," I grin.

"Okay?" He says in his morning voice while rubbing his eyes before he gets up.

He knows I'm not worried now because of the fact that I'm smiling.

When he actually gets up, he looks at me with a worried frown.

"Where did you get all of those cuts?" He asks, lightly touching the pad of his thumb to one of them.

"I ran to get you," I smile, and he smiles back.

"Okay, show me."

We walk as fast as possible to get to the food, which Grayson still doesn't know about.

"Is this what you were showing me?" Grayson asks as we pass the waterfall. I almost forgot about it, but I'm glad that he saw it.

"No, but I wanted to show you this anyway," I add. I walk him over to my rock. It would be so fun to be with him here.

"This could be our place!" Grayson exclaims, reading my mind.

"Definitely! But I really need to show you the other thing now!" I rush, pulling Grayson's arm towards the food.

"Can't we just stay a little while longer?" He pleads.

"We can come back," I say with an excited smile.

We practically run to the spot.

"What's so good about it? It's bushes," he asks.

You'll see.

I push the bushes away and we walk through them.

"Holy. Crap." He stares in amazement.

"I know right!" I jump up and down.

We brought back as much as we could carry and ate until we couldn't eat any more. It tasted amazing.

We have food.

──── ────